• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a few phone calls this week so there seems to be a but of a pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      Definitely more testing roles around, good luck!
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Same here. Even the Indian callers have increased in volume.

Comment

Yes there is usually a little surge in May/ early June, then it goes totally dead until Sept (if you are lucky) I'd take advantage now, come Sept and if no contract secured you may face the bench until after Xmas.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
            Yes there is usually a little surge in May/ early June, then it goes totally dead until Sept (if you are lucky) I'd take advantage now, come Sept and if no contract secured you may face the bench until after Xmas.
            Depends...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In my experience summer holiday and Christmas time are quite quiet but the rest is more dictated by market conditions at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                and a few weeks afterwards.... Just because the election is over doesn't mean things that on hold will instantly start up again...
                true but I would expect that many companies are wondering whether they can spend a penny on technology programmes or simply stock up on 5 years worth of lube.

Comment

In my experience summer holiday and Christmas time are quite quiet but the rest is more dictated by market conditions at the time.
                  August is for September start and up until 22nd-23rd is for January start.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

State of the Market

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    August is for September start and up until 22nd-23rd is for January start.
                    I have got stuff during the summer holidays (although not since BSF in school stopped) and a couple of things first thing in January in the past.

I just don't, above exceptions aside, buy into there being flat spots at the same time every year.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      There seem to be squillions more ads on Jobserve than any other site. Case in point - find a very specific search filter, should produce a small number of results (see the numbers next to the filter options) - however if you keep scrolling the jobs just keep appearing.

What insight have jobserve got that jobsite, Monster, CW etc. don't have?

Finding things so quiet that having to do something I swore I'd never do and get back into the "suits, process and depression" world of financial services.
                      They don't have any insights more than any other contractors. They are just job bulletin boards after all.

Keep your chin up, keep searching, keep networking. Keep your rate up for us reasonably as long as possible. Constantly double check the market rate with itjobwatch and Reed etc. Be flexible in your rate against a client. If client-co offers a new skill e.g. Angular 2 then be prepared to offer/negotiate and/or reduce your rate a little so that you may get a change to use it as a 2018/2019 skill. Exercise plan B - start searching for permanent roles as well as contract ones. Use your precious job search / bench time to study and learn other technology.

All the best.

PS: I assume you left financial services like I did. Well still be open to multiple vertical sectors as much as possible. (Avoid public sector.) Even if you hate it, take the contract job offer even it is appears FS. Take the money, because you can always leave FS again.
                      Last edited by rocktronAMP; 2 June 2017, 14:21. Reason: FS

Comment

Working...
                      X