• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I got offered a nice outside remote role - turned it down because the interviewers were miserable as sin. Will look again in the new year :-)

Our job isn't to say yes to everything.
    Why did you not just try the role for a week? Not much to lose.

I was once interviewed by a person who asked an interview question and then just stayed emotionless and awkwardly silent after I had answered. After I started I mentioned it to him and he replied that it was his deliberate interview technique. In reality he was absolutely fine to work with.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 25 November 2023, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

I was once interviewed by a person who asked an interview question and then just stayed emotionless and awkwardly silent after I had answered. After I started I mentioned it to him and he replied that it was his deliberate interview technique. In reality he was absolutely fine to work with.
      Indeed and conversly I've had an interview in the past which went really well, thought the person interviewing was very level headed and like minded. Was one of those just chat and agree with everything type things. He turned out to be proper spiteful tw*t to work for. You just never know.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I got offered a nice outside remote role - turned it down because the interviewers were miserable as sin. Will look again in the new year :-)

+1. I've turned down work in the past because of the attitude of client representatives.
        It's important to be comfortable that one can work with a client, although in the current economy this would probably be a luxury for many.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Man I've always wanted to work with Louis Theroux

I rarely end up working with the people that interview me, only in small startups. Big cos I will never see the person that placed me the entire gig usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
            Have a possible role outside IR35 but it is only part time, 3 days per week.

i’d take it as I’ve been on the bench months….part time is better than nothing.

However it’s an agency I’ve never had of Googled them and it’s a one man band…looked up their accounts on companies house and big losses.

I tend to work via large agencies not had work via a one man band before…am going to say I want paid weekly if I get it as I don’t trust having a month’s plus wages outstanding especially in these economic times!
            I worked for an agency like this a couple of years ago. They caught wind that I had been accepted by ClientCo on a different project to the one through themselves which was ending.

Didn't pay me my last salary and between the agency and umbrella company refusing to pay. It took me 6mths of emails, tribunal action and social media blasting for them to pay me.

To say I won't work again for UK Resources and Ajay Shah is an understatement. Complete conman.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

<snip>

You can leave GOV.UK with a SC, but if it will expire automatically after the day after 1 year on the "outside" on the anniversary your last service day.

You can transfer SC from departments/area. If your worked in MOJ with SC then left for 6 months to, say, contract with GSK Pharma, then immediately contracted for DWP, then your SC is still valid. DWP liason with just transfer your last SC from MOJ to DWP, then it is renewed and you don't have go through the onerous process again. (I can't remember the official nomenclature=. I think it a secops cluster or something). Hence reading "must have active SC to apply" as you see in many job ads.
              There is not one type of SC. There are multiple. Defence difference to Ministry of Justice, different to Home Office.

Do not assume your SC will be valid between public sector departments. There are good reasons that departments are more demanding in some areas of SC. The most important thing is to be thorough and honest.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post

I worked for an agency like this a couple of years ago. They caught wind that I had been accepted by ClientCo on a different project to the one through themselves which was ending.

Didn't pay me my last salary and between the agency and umbrella company refusing to pay. It took me 6mths of emails, tribunal action and social media blasting for them to pay me.

To say I won't work again for UK Resources and Ajay Shah is an understatement. Complete conman.
                To jump to your defence, I've dealt with that idiot before too and this UK Resources amateur agency. He was very talkative and kept calling, but side stepped basic questions about his business. I did my research and it revealed some red flag details about the agency, which was really just him in his bedroom. I would strongly recommended avoiding Ajay Shah too. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Just seen a Linkedin post for 3 roles in IT/utilities. PMO, jPM, Arch. Very much hybrid.

So far we have an interior designer from Romania and a community health worker both keenly interested in the PM role...

Comment

I had a conversation regarding a perm role (tempted by the dark side). I had similar feeling of "hell no" and that was that. Saying yes isn't always the right answer for sure.

Comment

Just seen my first begging post on LinkedIn...

I know people out there are desperate but it isn't a good look. Just don't do it. Remain professional.

Comment

Working...
                      X