• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
    Well..... this week I start at £11.50 an hour part time in a Warehouse.

Warchest isn't depleted but I'm not sitting around fighting like this every day staring at the phone. It's miserable and like 2008 when my first ever gig ended.

Also ironically whilst I was in contract, which ended in May, around Jan/Feb/Mar I was getting calls almost weekly and even took another on temporarily for double bubble (different time zone - long bloody hours!). Sooooooo glad I did that now!

Good luck one and all - the amount of applicants per role on LinkedIn is staggering - contract and perm.
    Good for you, better than sitting around on yer arse hoping for the best. Best of luck finding another contract soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Good for you, better than sitting around on yer arse hoping for the best. Best of luck finding another contract soon.
      Agree, it's very easy to get in a rut when out of work which makes it harder to find work. 'Treat job hunting like a full time job' to maintain structure doesn't really work in reality.

Comment

Warchest isn't depleted but I'm not sitting around fighting like this every day staring at the phone. It's miserable and like 2008 when my first ever gig ended.

Also ironically whilst I was in contract, which ended in May, around Jan/Feb/Mar I was getting calls almost weekly and even took another on temporarily for double bubble (different time zone - long bloody hours!). Sooooooo glad I did that now!

Good luck one and all - the amount of applicants per role on LinkedIn is staggering - contract and perm.
        I am curious how you got the job. Presumably all of us have CVs that would raise eyebrows, even if we had been out of work for many months.

Just looked on indeed and seems going rate for warehouse work in £15, which is better than I would've thought.
        Last edited by JustKeepSwimming; 3 July 2023, 13:27.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          Spoken with several agents I know well over the last two weeks who cover a mix of perm, contracting and interim. All admitted it's become pretty quiet over the last few months.
          The 'front' from the agents.

The actual state of the market.

And good luck and health to Mephisto who is going to put some real graft in.

This is what the bottom of a market cycle feels like, its just a shame we had to hit the bottom twice in three years.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
            I am curious how you got the job. Presumably all of us have CVs that would raise eyebrows, even if we had been out of work for many months.
            Just looked on indeed and seems going rate for warehouse work in £15, which is better than I would've thought.
            Mephisto said he got it through someone he knows.

I was actually talking to someone who owns a warehouse in outer london a few months ago.
            He said his fork lift drivers get £15 a hour, and his van delivery drivers £17. I would guess that anything that does not need a licence or certificate is going to be way less than £15 a hour. One thing he added is that he cant find drivers, before brexit they were lining up. Now they leave without notice and he keeps an extra driver on staff as a spare for when they do leave without notice.

Comment

Yeah this time was a friend of a friend situation.... but I've done this and volunteer work at a foodbank before between gigs and they're very easy to get into. Be prepared though the temping agency recruit en-masse like cattle. Then onboarding is watch safety video, don't cut your fingers off etc. then fill out a form, tour of Warehouse and start the next day or week.

As I'd done 2 years Warehouse work years ago I mentioned this in each application (10-15 or so I applied for near me in Lancashire), mentioned my CV mas likely irrelevant but attached anyway and was honest I was on a break from IT and after TEMPORARY work. Two eventually invited me along for an induction and I quite enjoyed it. Mindless-ish work, good banter, physical and in the case of Baxi learnt some practical skills.

And yep if you want to spend 3 days getting your FLT the pay is £15 per hour which isn't terrible. I can drive a forklift but didn't bother with the licence so obviously am not allowed.
              Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Have you learnt nothing contracting?

Customise the CV to say you've been working in warehouses for years. No harm, no foul - you won't even have to google what to do.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Just been given notice, so time to start looking in earnest!

Comment

I'm having a few bites. Nothing great, especially compared to last year, but enough to keep the lights this winter.

Comment

6 months out of work and counting... anyone has similar experience? what's going on with the market?

Comment

Working...
                      X