• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    Whilst I'm not looking, having recently signed a 12 month extension, I received a couple of messages from agents on LinkedIn regarding developer roles, one perm, not sure about the other. The perm one looked an interesting role (not for me as I'm hardcore contract/outside IR35), with travel opportunities to USA, Australia and wait for it, Scotland! Again, not for me as I'm an old fart and I've done my share of traveling/staying away. But it's encouraging that some opportunities are appearing.
    It's encouraging but getting approached for a role and having your feet under the (virtual) desk can be a long journey full of pitfalls. Although an academic point in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

A big part of this slump is caused by herd behaviour. If your competition is not starting new projects then that means you don't have to either.

You would think companies would take advantage and hire lower priced contractors during a slump, but thats not how things work. It is safer to just do what every other company in your sector is doing. Wont get fired that way.

It does mean that there will be projects and ideas that are hold. And the flood gates will open at some point because everyone will start projects at the same time, because thats what everyone is doing now.
      You saw the same a few years back when one back announced mass redundancies and the others soon followed. You almost got the impression they felt they had to so as not look out of place to the stock market.

As you say there must be a lot of work tucked away on spreadsheets and PIDs that will have to see the light of day one day. Just remains to be seen if Contractors are involved in them.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post
        Apparently the London insurance job market is doing pretty well - highest staffing levels since 2013. All driven by GWP numbers that are almost double what it was 10 years ago.

Article from May 2024 - https://www.ft.com/content/886e573f-...1-982fef730c3a

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	966
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	4292971
        Just commented on another thread, but seen a big increase in roles for insurance market.

BA Outside Rates of £700-750, which is by far the highest I've ever seen. Currently in a contract until end of the year, but it is tempting as that's a decent uplift on the rates from earlier in the year. Certainly, reasons to be positive about the contractor market.

Comment

Nice breakout above 21,000 in the FTSE 250 today after the good inflation data from the US.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post

Just commented on another thread, but seen a big increase in roles for insurance market.

BA Outside Rates of £700-750, which is by far the highest I've ever seen. Currently in a contract until end of the year, but it is tempting as that's a decent uplift on the rates from earlier in the year. Certainly, reasons to be positive about the contractor market.
            Agreed. From what I can see there are a good number of decently paid BA, PM, change roles in the insurance sector. Even when I was looking for PM roles last summer, there were quite a few well paid ones in the insurance sector.
            Last edited by sreed; 11 July 2024, 16:11.

Comment

More good news

In a broad-based advance, #UK GDP grew by 0.4% in May in real terms.
              This is double the consensus forecast, follows a flat April and, at 0.9%, takes the three-month GDP expansion to its highest level since January 2022.

Comment

Marketing has improved a little. But nothing to get too excited about yet. I have managed to land a new contract, had only one week out. Goal is still to go permie but have got nowhere with that. Hoping I get the chance to convert to permie with new client if all goes well.

Comment

Got an extension till end of the year, which was a fairly big plot twist, still that doesn't resolve much as I want to go perm, but there's a hiring freeze currently, so lets see.

Market wise, contract at least, it's dead for me, no upticks, no movement. Perm is a bit different, seems to be a fair bit of job ads, but mostly low paid, with tulip ton of travel.

Comment

1800 Indians turn up for 10 positions in person back home in Gujarat, chaos ensues.

I think some UK companies still occasionally do open interview days for perm roles, no idea what the turnout for those would be in this market.

Last edited by cojak; 12 July 2024, 08:28. Reason: Removed racist term.

Comment

Wow, you need 20 years experience over three very different sectors all for £550, inside?? What is the world coming to?

Role: Business Architect / Senior Business Analyst

Duration: 6 Months

Day rate: £550 inside IR35

Role Description:

Our client needs a professionally qualified Senior Business Analyst & Business Architect with over 20 years of experience in enabling change and realizing value across the Financial Services, Healthcare, and Energy sectors. The ideal candidate will possess proven analytical methods, techniques, and creative problem-solving skills and will be comfortable in both business and technical roles, able to perform strategic/enterprise analysis as well as detailed analysis and design.

Comment

Working...
                      X