• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

That says more about you than it does about any permanent role.

I'd also argue that Contracting is 50% Politics, 40% Invoicing and 10% Work.

Current client co is more 80% politics. Even in this market, I'm counting down the days until the summer sabbatical!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by tsmith View Post

Perm is 70% Politics - 30% actual work.
    I tried to do the 'fractional' route with a perm role. They wanted 9am to 6pm - but didnt tell me the hours until after the offer.
    That says more about you than it does about any permanent role.

I'd also argue that Contracting is 50% Politics, 40% Invoicing and 10% Work.

Leave a comment:

• DrGUID
    replied
    Found a permie dev role after being benched for 33 days. I think that's the longest it's taken since 2002. This one is replacing a retiree and it's for a lower salary than my last role. At least it's work from home. The downside is I keep being made redundant from these roles due to being out of the loop as regards internal politics (not that I'm interested in getting involved anyway).

JobServe openings hit 14K this morning... is that the lowest ever? I guess it's mostly down to an excess hiring spree post-covid, but it doesn't bode well for the economy if investment in new projects are being canned. Stuff being postponed/canned was something I heard a lot from agents while I was on the market.

Still haven't heard about my JSA claim... maybe they're inundated, or too busy "working from home". Don't really need the money, but it stops the government wasting it on stupid stuff.

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    As a generalist PM, I know exactly how it’ll pan out if I take on a perm role. The reward for doing well is just more projects! Conscientious permie PMs that are good at what they do get saddled with twice the projects handled by their less capable peers in the same team, while being paid the same. I’ve seen that time and again at the clients I’ve worked at.

As a contractor (or on a fixed term contract), there’s always an expiry date on my time so there’s more of a barrier to getting ‘rewarded’ with more work. Plus there’s a better balance of power so I can (and do) shrug and say sorry can’t take on anything more as I’ve got too much on my plate already.

Having said that, it’s all about what choices are available so if it gets to a stage where decent well-paid contracts are extremely hard to come by, I don’t have an ideological opposition to going perm. Mind you, the situation would have to be pretty bad!

Leave a comment:

• tsmith
    replied
    Originally posted by mookiemoo View Post
    I've just read through the posts from Feb to now....... I took a perm job 2 years ago when the client I was at offered me one. For various reasons it suited at the time despite the paycut.

However, what has become increasingly clear is:

1. I can't handle 25 days holiday plus bank holidays - used to going away 3-4 times a year
    2. There is a definite personality clash becoming apparent - maybe its 20 years as a contractor meaning I don't take jumping through hoops very well not sure but it ended up being told I was so awful at my job that I didn't deserve any pay rise (everyone else got 10%) and I was not getting my bonus even though they admitted I was severely underpaid for my role. Despite hardly being out of work in 20 years and had numerous repeat engagements - I don't think one goes from being good to awful overnight!
    3. The work is drying up for consultancy I work for so not sure what will happen in a few months time

I'm thinking of looking for a contract and then just walking and telling them to stuff the job. the last few pages have been sobering. the only good thing is we are mortgage free and him indoors has a very good pension income which would pay the bills. I actually only really work for the holidays which I can't enjoy anymore as not enough time!
    Perm is 70% Politics - 30% actual work.

Many of these perm leaders got there from outstaying everyone else not ability. If you are seen to better than them or dont toe the company line youre in trouble.

I tried to do the 'fractional' route with a perm role. They wanted 9am to 6pm - but didnt tell me the hours until after the offer. Fractional is a difficult thing to actually get any company to agree on.

https://www.ft.com/content/e3cfa50b-...8-c1dd6e457dba

"Now companies from Accenture to EY and McKinsey are slashing thousands of jobs. The valuations of consultancy businesses are falling — one reason EY pulled its Project Everest plan to separate its accounting and consultancy arms — while the industry’s reputation is under attack following scandals such as firms’ misconduct in South Africa.

Korn Ferry’s latest survey of North American consultancy partners showed the extent of the anxiety among staff. Nearly 60 per cent expected less demand and more pressure on fees in the coming year. More than 80 per cent were worried about having enough work and almost half expected further lay-offs."

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    1. I can't handle 25 days holiday plus bank holidays - used to going away 3-4 times a year
    That's what sick days are for. Sorted.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied

2. There is a definite personality clash becoming apparent - maybe its 20 years as a contractor meaning I don't take jumping through hoops very well not sure but it ended up being told I was so awful at my job that I didn't deserve any pay rise (everyone else got 10%) and I was not getting my bonus even though they admitted I was severely underpaid for my role. Despite hardly being out of work in 20 years and had numerous repeat engagements - I don't think one goes from being good to awful overnight!
    3. The work is drying up for consultancy I work for so not sure what will happen in a few months time

If holidays were that important to you then you should have negotiated more holiday when you went perm, eg an extra 10 or 15 days of unpaid holidays.

Might have improved your mood on the job as well, maybe you would have jumped through a few more of those hoops..

Leave a comment:

• mookiemoo
    replied
    I've just read through the posts from Feb to now....... I took a perm job 2 years ago when the client I was at offered me one. For various reasons it suited at the time despite the paycut.

However, what has become increasingly clear is:

I'm thinking of looking for a contract and then just walking and telling them to stuff the job. the last few pages have been sobering. the only good thing is we are mortgage free and him indoors has a very good pension income which would pay the bills. I actually only really work for the holidays which I can't enjoy anymore as not enough time!

Leave a comment:

• pjt
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Unusual to hear anything at all for me - about 90% of applications result in tumbleweed.
    Not hearing back on a job add is what I now come to expect. Whats killing me is when an agent actually tells you your good for a role they have then ghost you. Its like chinese torture at the moment. Don't believe anything any of them are saying and not convinced may roles are even real.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

That's the issue, half the applications didn't even get an auto rejection which is kind of unusual, but then again, maybe not so much anymore.
    Unusual to hear anything at all for me - about 90% of applications result in tumbleweed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X