• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

45k is the new 90K people were turning down a year ago, the new norm
    Why so sceptic?

Word on the street is that there are a few roles around. Maybe not the contract ones that we are craving for but decent perm roles that might be actually be decent. "decent" interpretation free for discussion.

Similar to the stock market what I think is that it's not about that the supply and demand dictates but what rich people feel. Seems like we might have some artificially made ones to give people a false sense of prosperity. Unemployment fudged stats all over again. Please feel free to disagree.

On another note, had an experience recently with a long interview process which had some positive expectations from my side (decent budget considering the brand, mobile phone carrier in the uk, Paddington and some other areas, present in some conversations around here) Role seemed fine, team seemed fine apart from some devs that jumped on me like wolves on a sheep in the tech interview. Everything seemed fine apart from the getting actual feedback from the interview. All cool and dandy but no offer. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Leave a comment:

• BigDataPro
    replied
    Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post
    Someone approached me on LI last week for a perm role in London paying 45k.

I explained to him that was exactly the same as the last perm job I had...20 years ago. 45k for 20 years experience, do me a lemon mate.

If I was gonna do that better off doing a combo of part time tutoring and working in Maccas, or dog walking.
    Same happened to me last week. It was from Nigel Frank Recruitment. I didn't bother to explain but replied back with a picture of an obscene hand gesture (yeah, the middle finger)

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
    Are there any Outside IR35 contracts around anymore?
    Have you tried subscribing to the daily jobs list that offpayroll.org.uk send out?

https://www.offpayroll.org.uk/contracts

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied

I explained to him that was exactly the same as the last perm job I had...20 years ago. 45k for 20 years experience, do me a lemon mate.

If I was gonna do that better off doing a combo of part time tutoring and working in Maccas, or dog walking.
    45k is the new 90K people were turning down a year ago, the new norm

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Destiny2
    replied
    Are there any Outside IR35 contracts around anymore?

Leave a comment:

• perplexed
    replied
    consultancies treat contractors worse then their own employees (which is already terrible)
    avoid avoid avoid
    I'm well aware of that, experienced it before - stood ground over unreasonable demand outside contract terms, terminated as a result.

At the moment, if it came off then it's still money - not that it will.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Getting actual phone calls from actual agents about what seem to be actual contracts.

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    consultancies treat contractors worse then their own employees (which is already terrible)
    avoid avoid avoid

Leave a comment:

• perplexed
    replied
    Approached about an inside gig. May take it to cover the bills for the next year, gain more experience in a few skills. Sadly it's with a consultancy who screwed me over before and with a client who were painful to supply services to before, so I doubt it'll go anywhere...

EDIT: The plan would be to use umbrella for inside gigs, look for additional contracts for the ltd company.
    Last edited by perplexed; 7 April 2021, 17:17.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X