• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting client agreements for other "perks" when rate rises are not on the table

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once had a WFH contract with one day in the office every 2 weeks, drove me mental, missus seemed to think that WFH meant I could just drop things and take kids to school, pop out for a bit of shopping at lunch, put the dinner on, take the washing in, drop Master STJ off to Scouts etc, lasted the 3 contracted months, turned down an extension and then found an office based role for my sanity! Saying that when I commuted to London I had one day a week WFH which was a godsend :-)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What's the cultural situation over there though. Is there a feeling they are more relaxed about it in general or is it still on a client by client basis.

I'm not sure everyone knows where you work so if there is big cultural difference your situation may not be a fair reflection on what the OP or others should expect.
      It really is client by client. The three clients I have share one or more of these traits.

A geographically widespread workforce, so WFH is nothing out of the ordinary,
      No offices for IT workers; the expectation is that you'll WFH
      A focus on results rather than presenteeism
      A focus on getting the best workers they can - and being flexible to ensure they keep them

I've WFH on and off from about '96 (first time was over a 14K dial-up!). I find it odd that it's viewed as a perk in some sectors.

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
      Struggling to find the icon for a patronising slow clap so will just go for this
      Well, I couldn't find the smiley for *smug git*, so it's fair enough.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        It really is client by client. The three clients I have share one or more of these traits.

A geographically widespread workforce, so WFH is nothing out of the ordinary,
        No offices for IT workers; the expectation is that you'll WFH
        A focus on results rather than presenteeism
        A focus on getting the best workers they can - and being flexible to ensure they keep them

I've WFH on and off from about '96 (first time was over a 14K dial-up!). I find it odd that it's viewed as a perk in some sectors.

Well, I couldn't find the smiley for *smug git*, so it's fair enough.

HTHBIDI
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Once had a WFH contract with one day in the office every 2 weeks, drove me mental, missus seemed to think that WFH meant I could just drop things and take kids to school, pop out for a bit of shopping at lunch, put the dinner on, take the washing in, drop Master STJ off to Scouts etc, lasted the 3 contracted months, turned down an extension and then found an office based role for my sanity! Saying that when I commuted to London I had one day a week WFH which was a godsend :-)
          I can imagine. I think mine would be the same....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I managed to get Barclays to agree to a WFH when I feel like it mentality. I went in something like 10 days in the last three months of my contract. Didn't bill every day ofc, because I didn't work every day and was able to focus on other clients.

PC - what is it you do? Are you helpdesk or something?

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
              I managed to get Barclays to agree to a WFH when I feel like it mentality. I went in something like 10 days in the last three months of my contract. Didn't bill every day ofc, because I didn't work every day and was able to focus on other clients.

PC - what is it you do? Are you helpdesk or something?
              Gills - I'm deeply hurt. :-) Not helpdesk but there is an element of BAU stuff. Mostly project but lead support/consultancy Exchange/Windows/Unix.

Comment

OK All. Think we've established I am crap at negotiating which is fair enough.

So advice on how to swing it and how to approach client?

Current state is no increase is going to happen. It went up a few levels at last renewal and got kicked back so its not going to happen this time. Client (or at least local people) is desperate for me to renew - I've got skills/experience that the permies just dont have.

Work is pretty much 50% BAU/50% Project. Permies don't work from home (but they all live locally). Other contractors here who are more project based seem to WFH when it suits them. Different project managers/team leads.

Even one day per week WFH would be golden for me. 3 hours of my life back with no commute, one day where I'm not up at the crack and home late. One day where I'm not possibly not having to rush my nuts off to get home to pick up daughter from childcare. One day where I see my youngest for more than 30 mins if I'm lucky. One day where I can get to GP/dentist if I have to!

Comment

Right when discussing renewal bring up the fact that you're not after an increase but would like one day a week WFH, agree on a regular day and say that if you really need to come in you will, at the end of the day if they want to keep you they will agree to it, if they don't then you know where the land lies and can start looking for something that better suits your home life.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Work is pretty much 50% BAU/50% Project.

BAU?

I have to tread carefully with that too when client thinks support stuff or minor tweaks to a system is part of the wider project, when it's more about supporting a previous project or phase. Pure BAU (given tasks ad hoc that are not within a proper project boundary) would be well dodgy for IR35 as far as I know.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Even one day per week WFH would be golden for me.
                    I know contractors that have managed to get WFH or a flexible Friday end and Monday start to make their lives a bit easier with a long commute or working away during the week.

Usually agreed before starting or at renewal. They have been prepared to not sign up or walk away if not getting some movement on it though.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                      Right when discussing renewal bring up the fact that you're not after an increase but would like one day a week WFH, agree on a regular day and say that if you really need to come in you will, at the end of the day if they want to keep you they will agree to it, if they don't then you know where the land lies and can start looking for something that better suits your home life.
                      Very good.

One modification. "I'm not asking for an increase, because I know it's not in the budget. But you know I'm good enough for an increase, and I do, too. There's one way you can give me an increase without costing you a pound. I work from home one day a week, and that's worth quite a bit to me. If you need me in on Friday for some reason, I'll come in and just work the following Monday from home, so I'll be here if you need me, but it means I won't have to take that long commute every single day, and it costs you nothing extra. If you can't move on that, I'll probably have to look for a contract closer to home. The commute is just too much to do every day."

Of course, the big question is the second sentence, are you good enough and do they know it? And the next to last one -- are you ready to walk?

Comment

Working...
                      X