• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting client agreements for other "perks" when rate rises are not on the table

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I have "WFH whenever I feel like it" and have had for years.
    What's the cultural situation over there though. Is there a feeling they are more relaxed about it in general or is it still on a client by client basis.

I'm not sure everyone knows where you work so if there is big cultural difference your situation may not be a fair reflection on what the OP or others should expect.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Struggling to find the icon for a patronising slow clap so will just go for this

Comment

Not all clients will go for this - He who pays the band calls the tune and all that.....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Not all clients will go for this - He who pays the band calls the tune and all that.....
          Maybe, but you seem no good at negotiation either, so that has to be taken into consideration...

As for your calling the tune comment, I don't agree with that at all.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            I think it depends entirely on how desperately I need a cash injection

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Maybe, but you seem no good at negotiation either, so that has to be taken into consideration...

No I am indeed crap I will admit that.

Hmmm. Thing is client offers contract doing X. For doing X they want someone at location Y because it suits them.

Might not make sense, might be no reason whatsoever why you have to be at location Y or the hours that client wants you to be there. But some clients just have got this idea in their head.

Yes, you can try to talk sense into them but it doesnt always work. If said contractor doesnt want to work at location Y and client can't be talked around then thats pretty much the end of it - client will get someone who will do what they want.

Of course, ultimately you can refuse or only work contracts that allow WFH but thats a different thing.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                I think it depends entirely on how desperately I need a cash injection
                Also true. Client says no to wfh. You stay and work in the office or you leave and go somewhere else that will allow you to wfh.

As I said, in all other respects, current client is pretty good, rate is OK, so its a decision to make.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  No client or employer gives people pay/rate rises unless they think you'll leave. Bit cynical but that's economic sense.

Did you stay? How about 2 days WFH plus 2 nights in a hotel?
                  True on your first point.

No, I didn't. I'd lined something up ready to start at extension date so there was no self-inflicted bench time.

I agree TOIL should not be used but its the shortest word for the same thing. Basically, being flexible working out of hours but, in effect, shifting the billing for said time to another day. Never ideal and I usually dont like doing but sometimes its a case of do it, and do it this way, do it and do it for free, or refuse and upset the client.

Already got the start times thing agreed for childcare. I guess WFH is the thing I want.
                  Call it TOIL-equivalent and he'll be fine.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

No I am indeed crap I will admit that.

Hmmm. Thing is client offers contract doing X. For doing X they want someone at location Y because it suits them.

Might not make sense, might be no reason whatsoever why you have to be at location Y or the hours that client wants you to be there. But some clients just have got this idea in their head.

Yes, you can try to talk sense into them but it doesnt always work. If said contractor doesnt want to work at location Y and client can't be talked around then thats pretty much the end of it - client will get someone who will do what they want.

Of course, ultimately you can refuse or only work contracts that allow WFH but thats a different thing.
                    Agree to a point, but you have a habit of reducing things to a few basic common denominators.
                    Choosing how and when to negotiate are key contracting skills, it's not as clear cut as you say.
                    Often if you set out your stall clearly, from the beginning, you may be surprised what you can get.
                    Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 19 April 2016, 12:59.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Not the first client where the rate you start on is the rate you're on for the next 1000 years.
                      Hmmm. Sounds like an IR35 red flag.

Comment

Working...
                      X