• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting client agreements for other "perks" when rate rises are not on the table

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting client agreements for other "perks" when rate rises are not on the table

Not the first client where the rate you start on is the rate you're on for the next 1000 years.

In a way, I can see where they're coming from. You're already expensive so why should they pay even more - they're already in the spot where they need to keep paying you. Also, if you're doing the same thing then, in their heads, why pay more?

BUT, decent client generally. Pretty good (mostly) for things like TOIL if I work extra (sometimes they try it on), flexibility on hours etc, nice permies to work with. Bit of a trek on train every day but you get used to it - although it does knacker me by end of week.

What have others managed to negotiate instead of rate increase?

WFH is the good one I suppose. They're not keen here on that (apart from when they want something from me to do remotely!). After almost 2 years I think they trust me.

Even though it would save me nothing in cost (train season ticket) even once a fortnight would be golden in terms of less stress that day (and 3 hours travelling saved).

Any other things to consider? Call it "perks"?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Not a contractor then.

What you'd call perks are what should be called "improvements in working practices".

When staying away I often negotiate to work late Monday to Thursday so I can leave at lunch on Friday.

I've been offered WFH to stay in one contract but the commute was a killer and WFH two days a week wouldn't have improved my mood the other three days.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Not a contractor then.

What you'd call perks are what should be called "improvements in working practices".

When staying away I often negotiate to work late Monday to Thursday so I can leave at lunch on Friday.

I've been offered WFH to stay in one contract but the commute was a killer and WFH two days a week wouldn't have improved my mood the other three days.
      London - lets not go all NLUK and focus unnecessarily on the terminology is it? :-)
      Lets call it "changes or improvements in working practice then".

I don't stay away mostly. I commute (90 mins each way door to door - drive, train, walk) every day. Get used to it but if its a busy week it wipes me out by Friday (most days I'm up at 6, in office by 8, home 615pm). If I don't get a lie on Saturday am I'm good for nothing the weekend.

Even one day a week 2 hours extra kip, "home" by 4pm (so get more than 30 mins with my 2 year old) would be golden for me.

Comment

Nice gold watch after they give you notice
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If you are trying to understand your position, the clients position and the negotiate using that knowledge and still stay inside IR35 then the terminology is absolutely key. I mean, TOIL? Surely that's just for permies, to us it's just flexibility around the engagement. It shouldn't be hard to get the terminology right.

Is the question is what do YOU want? I thought your thread was asking what options were available for you but it seemed to end up as a general chit chat about what others got, making the detail you put in a bit irrelevant so not completely sure what you are after now.

I've managed to get late start, late finish to ease long commutes and on another gig 3 days at a local satellite office close to home so not living away 5 days a week. Had some rate rises but only from the agent. That's about it really I think.

Oh a client suggested I email a large mobile provider from my client email to get a company discount which I declined....if that's the perks you were thinking about.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 19 April 2016, 10:59.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            London - lets not go all NLUK and focus unnecessarily on the terminology is it? :-)
            Lets call it "changes or improvements in working practice then".

I don't stay away mostly. I commute (90 mins each way door to door - drive, train, walk) every day. Get used to it but if its a busy week it wipes me out by Friday (most days I'm up at 6, in office by 8, home 615pm). If I don't get a lie on Saturday am I'm good for nothing the weekend.

Even one day a week 2 hours extra kip, "home" by 4pm (so get more than 30 mins with my 2 year old) would be golden for me.
            I'm not going NLUK on you; it's understanding that you're a business and should act as one. If you don't, then make sure that you're accounting as a well as operating inside IR35.

I'm looking forward to the day when most IT contracts are work from MyCo site rather than Client site. I'll rent an office within walking distance of home and log in remotely rather than trekking miles across the country.

If you're struggling with commutes, perhaps contracting isn't for you?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

No client or employer gives people pay/rate rises unless they think you'll leave. Bit cynical but that's economic sense.

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              I've been offered WFH to stay in one contract but the commute was a killer
              and WFH two days a week wouldn't have improved my mood the other three days.
              Did you stay? How about 2 days WFH plus 2 nights in a hotel?

Comment

Working from home is the usual working practice I try to obtain. Best I ever had was 3 days at home and 2 days on client site.

Not being subjected to 9 to 5 with 30 mins for a lunch break mentality. I tend not to do lunch and want to get in and out as quick as possible. Hate being on clients sites with all the politics and bollocks. Rather get in, get the brief and get out asap

I would stay well clear of any "discounts" on offer. IR35 minefield.
                Last edited by dx4100; 19 April 2016, 11:50.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  If you are trying to understand your position, the clients position and the negotiate using that knowledge and still stay inside IR35 then the terminology is absolutely key. I mean, TOIL? Surely that's just for permies, to us it's just flexibility around the engagement. It shouldn't be hard to get the terminology right.

Is the question is what do YOU want? I thought your thread was asking what options were available for you but it seemed to end up as a general chit chat about what others got, making the detail you put in a bit irrelevant so not completely sure what you are after now.

I've managed to get late start, late finish to ease long commutes and on another gig 3 days at a local satellite office close to home so not living away 5 days a week. Had some rate rises but only from the agent. That's about it really I think.

Oh a client suggested I email a large mobile provider from my client email to get a company discount which I declined....if that's the perks you were thinking about.
                  I agree TOIL should not be used but its the shortest word for the same thing. Basically, being flexible working out of hours but, in effect, shifting the billing for said time to another day. Never ideal and I usually dont like doing but sometimes its a case of do it, and do it this way, do it and do it for free, or refuse and upset the client.

Already got the start times thing agreed for childcare. I guess WFH is the thing I want.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                    Working from home is the usual working practice I try to obtain. Best I ever had was 3 days at home and 2 days on client site..
                    I have "WFH whenever I feel like it" and have had for years.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X