• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract - personal bank statements for gaps in employment required ?????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract - personal bank statements for gaps in employment required ?????

Not sure if this is the location for this but...

I've just landed a contract at 'a bank' and am going through the vetting process via the agency involved.

They have asked for 'personal bank statements for gaps in employment'. WTF?? Excuse my language...

I know they are getting more strict (only 3 damn hours to get together documentation/scans together....) but I've never had to do this.

I haven't gone back to them yet (tomorrow I will rant) but is this now Revenue, agent or client(bank) normal? Even though I've got nothing to hide surely they have no right to look at 'more' personal information. Who is going to keep it secure? Even if I can find statements going back to 2012....

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Wtf? I don't work in finance but that seems intrusive.

Comment

Them rushing you might mean there are unfavourable items in the contract too. Don't let them supplying it at last minute stop you doing any due diligence.

As for the statements - bit cheeky of them, ask if it's a battle you want to fight. Maybe write them a letter explaining time off periods. Which agency is it?
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Yep pretty standard. As you have no employment history they need to check your accounts to make sure you've been at large in society and not enjoying B&B at Her Majesties pleasure or on a training course somewhere exotic like Afghanistan. Every contractor has to do it and they all seem OK so far.

Barclay's used to do it through a separate company so not via the agent but times have changed.

Been buying stuff we might be too pleased other people know about have we?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 17 March 2016, 20:03.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Normal in some financial companies to check you haven't been doing anything dodgy.

The "problem" I have is that I have purposely more than one current account with different banks....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
            Wtf? I don't work in finance but that seems intrusive.
            I don't work in finance, but I have seen here in this forum that in financial it's normal.

Comment

Check page 15 and 16 of a guide supplied by the government. It clear states that statements can be used to check gaps.

https://www.cpni.gov.uk/documents/pu..._screening.pdf
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Totally normal.

You have an option though.

Comment

100% normal in 2016 also be prepared to dig out old agency contracts if they want to see them as well as physically take your current UK passport, UK photo driving licence (or equivalent document) & recent utility bills to be examined & scanned by the agency while your present to confirm identity. Its all part of the onboarding process they also usually do police & credit background checks as well as check old contracts then if you pass all this you get a CRB certificate which is only valid for the current role but many other banks usually accept it to save them redoing the onboarding process.

Some financial services companies go much deeper (depends on the role & how much responsibility & access to sensitive documents you have) they validate all this info as well not just accept it on face value if you are found to be dishonest some can & do lodge a fraudster flag with the credit agencies on your credit file (making it virtually impossible for you to get any credit) so make sure the info & documents are legit & accurate!!

Comment

Thanks so much for your time and replies. Another thing they never asked me for in a similar role two years ago (same bank) was accountant's details. Fair enough on that score I suppose.

1992 - 'an american bank' - 4 year contract. Passport, proof of address as I remember and that was it. Ah how things change...Pre 1990 interviews generally in pubs and vetting was if you haven't got long hair and wear a suit you are in (well at least one of those anyway).

Right now.. Question - how do I redact all payments from offshore, payments to all my mistresses and the dodgy web site payments from my personal bank statements? Just Snopake or is there something more techie?

All the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X