• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Request to evidence career break from employer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request to evidence career break from employer

Firstly apologies if this has been asked before but couldnt track down any related threads.

I am converting to direct contract with my current client, and they are asking me to evidence a 3 month career break eg. with travel tickets etc.

I see no valid reason to provide this - and they havent as yet provided any - but are insistent on it as a requirement.

Bit of a deal breaker for me from a privacy perspective if they cannot provide a sensible rationale.

Has anyone else had any experience of this, any advice on challenging it ? Get the strong feeling the machine will not listen, but any information much appreciated!

It's easy to change any e-ticket that you have in your email to cover the dates in your absence.

Comment

Gets asked all the time nowadays standard practice for many clients. If you have nothing to hide then you will provide what they ask for its really that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by cleuch View Post
        I see no valid reason to provide this - and they havent as yet provided any - but are insistent on it as a requirement.
        Bit of a deal breaker for me from a privacy perspective if they cannot provide a sensible rationale.
        Perfectly usual in FS.

If its a deal breaker, then the answers simple, turn down the contract.

HTH.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by cleuch View Post
          Firstly apologies if this has been asked before but couldnt track down any related threads.

I am converting to direct contract with my current client, and they are asking me to evidence a 3 month career break eg. with travel tickets etc.

Has anyone else had any experience of this, any advice on challenging it ? Get the strong feeling the machine will not listen, but any information much appreciated!

Are you currently there through an agency? If so, that's the reason.
          They will have a lock out clause with your current agent. They will also have a clause saying they are not allowed to discuss their contract they have with the agent with you.

If that is a deal breaker for you, contracting may not be a good choice of career.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It's standard at financial clients and becoming more common in others. It's to check you've not been detained at her majesty's pleasure or taken a break in a camp in Afghanistan etc. Quite reasonable to check and it don't really see it as privacy issue unless you have something to hide. If it's a deal breaker then just turn it down and sit on the bench. We can respect that...
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think this stuff is utter crap. As for proving you were not at 'her maj's pleasure,' well, that's what the Disclosure Barring Service is for.

Tell them to pay £25 for a DBS search or whatever it is for an enhanced search.

Tell them you took a career break to go wherever it was and will happily send a few photos (providing of course you're not the guy who took all his holiday snaps in selfie mode!).

Tell them you're a bona fide company director (providing you work through a limited) but dont give in to this tulipe.

Any other contractor who bends over and takes it 'because its quite normal in FS now' well, yes, that's because you've all acted like employees and not as a B2B.

I despair of some so called dyed in the wool contractors who should know better.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

thanks all - nothing to hide .. obviously, just dont particularly wish to share how and where i spend my own time with any employer or their various intermediaries.

Been contracting in FS for over 12 years; believe it or not first time i have been asked to evidence time off like this. Must have been lucky!

Guess i have a call to make.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Any other contractor who bends over and takes it 'because its quite normal in FS now' well, yes, that's because you've all acted like employees and not as a B2B.

I despair of some so called dyed in the wool contractors who should know better.
                  OK, well try getting an IB role (although not saying you would want one) without having the clearance.

You simply won't.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    I think this stuff is utter crap. As for proving you were not at 'her maj's pleasure,' well, that's what the Disclosure Barring Service is for.

Tell them to pay £25 for a DBS search or whatever it is for an enhanced search.

Tell them you took a career break to go wherever it was and will happily send a few photos (providing of course you're not the guy who took all his holiday snaps in selfie mode!).

Tell them you're a bona fide company director (providing you work through a limited) but dont give in to this tulipe.

Sorry don't agree. Sometimes there are hoops you have to jump because the client believes... Wrongly or rightly.. It's needed. We just have decide whether we want to provide it or not.

Rocking in to multinational bank and telling them you are a director of a company so don't have to follow process is just... Mehhhh.

Remember the process is implemented and run by people that don't really give a crap. Do it or bugger off. You simply can't do business with that whoever you are.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X