• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client says NO to time off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client says NO to time off

Now this is an interesting one. Generally, I book holidays when I feel like.

If I get offered an extension, then I will advise client of holiday plans during that time before I accept. Occasionally, I will mention or if they ask plans months in advance.

But I dont see the point in informing client of holiday plans 9 months in advance when contract is only for 3 months. Unless they ask.

Anyway, middle of 2nd extension now. Last time, I said ok off over easter for week. Client yeh no problem. I did mention BTW - its a while off but im off in august as well. Client not interested.

So extension offered so I reminded them/gave firm date. This is all booked and paid for.

Was surprised that client came to me and said NO cant allow those dates, sorry, not enough people in the office. WTF. I was advising not asking.

Cue bit of a disagreement me telling them this had been booked for a while and I could hardly control plans outside the scope of the contract anyway. Clients answer = not my problem.

So, flights non-refundable so we're talking almost £4000. Family mightily pissed off if I now cancel it as well.

Aint gonna happen. Not going to rock up in work in Aug and lose £4K on the deal.

Decent enough client but they do push the control thing a bit far. (Yes not good for IR35). Seriously tempted not to let them go down this slippery slope and tell them to shove their extension.

Long run might cost me money but I aint willing to lose money as mentioned like this. Its not like its a few £100 and a cancelled weekend away.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
    Now this is an interesting one. Generally, I book holidays when I feel like.

If I get offered an extension, then I will advise client of holiday plans during that time before I accept. Occasionally, I will mention or if they ask plans months in advance.

But I dont see the point in informing client of holiday plans 9 months in advance when contract is only for 3 months. Unless they ask.

Anyway, middle of 2nd extension now. Last time, I said ok off over easter for week. Client yeh no problem. I did mention BTW - its a while off but im off in august as well. Client not interested.

So extension offered so I reminded them/gave firm date. This is all booked and paid for.

Was surprised that client came to me and said NO cant allow those dates, sorry, not enough people in the office. WTF. I was advising not asking.

Cue bit of a disagreement me telling them this had been booked for a while and I could hardly control plans outside the scope of the contract anyway. Clients answer = not my problem.

So, flights non-refundable so we're talking almost £4000. Family mightily pissed off if I now cancel it as well.

Aint gonna happen. Not going to rock up in work in Aug and lose £4K on the deal.

Decent enough client but they do push the control thing a bit far. (Yes not good for IR35). Seriously tempted not to let them go down this slippery slope and tell them to shove their extension.

Long run might cost me money but I aint willing to lose money as mentioned like this. Its not like its a few £100 and a cancelled weekend away.

Thoughts?
    Simple, refuse extension.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Simple, refuse extension.
      Yep, if you can afford it then refuse. They may then come back and say "ok, take the time off" although don't expect them to be pleased that you played hardball. You know the client so you will know if they will hold a grudge or get nasty.

Comment

Must admit if it was me, I'd be loathe to cancel anything even if it was a weekend away planned or something, if the client tried to tell me no.

If they ask nicely, and its something that can easily be changed without pissing off my family or costing me a shedload then fair enough.

If client gives me 12 month extension then they have a right to know my plans for the next 12 months. If they offer 3 months then they have to right to know for those 3 months. Any time in future past these dates is free for me to arrange. As is they're prerogative to extend me or not into this time.

Of course, I have no issue letting client know if they ask but they usually don't. If they want to know if I've got anything planned for Nov 2025 I'll let them know if I have....

Lose thousands and cancel holiday. Not happening.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

take extension and then, if the client keeps on saying no to your holiday request, give notice before august and enjoy your holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post

Was surprised that client came to me and said NO cant allow those dates, sorry, not enough people in the office. My answer = I'm not an employee, so not my problem.
            FTFY

I've never had a problem like this. I just book hols, advise client of dates I'm away, etc.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
              take extension and then, if the client keeps on saying no to your holiday request, give notice before august and enjoy your holiday.
              Assuming there is notice
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Take extension, offer substitution and go on holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  As is they're prerogative to extend me or not into this time.
                  their
                  Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by MercladUK View Post
                    Take extension, offer substitution and go on holiday.
                    Won't work. Your sub has to be brought up to speed by you at no cost to the client before they can start. You can't just throw a random body at your client.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X