• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client says NO to time off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dty View Post
    More to the point, they're going to be totally screwed when someone gets hit by a bus and has unforeseen absence.

Notwithstanding any IR35/D&C arguments, I tend to take time off "like a permie". That is, I approach the client and say "I'd like to take a few days off next week, is that OK?" or "We're thinking about a family holiday for a week in July, I assume that won't cause an issue?". I certainly wouldn't just announce my unavailability - that strikes me as unprofessional. That said, I've never had the answer "no", either, so I don't have a clear plan in my head for how I'd deal with that.
    Same as I do if its within current contract. I think going steaming in and saying you wont be available is just wrong.

Especially if its a three month extension. Surely the client has right to know at start any plans (apart from the odd day)?

But like others have said, I will mention it if asked or whatever but if I book a holiday for 8 months time and current gig ends in 3 months, then I dont expect grief when it gets to the extension that covers this holiday and its inconvenient for them.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      To be honest there is no reason to overreact at this point. It's a common situation for managers during silly season and their first response is to say no and see who caves. Counter his response with your situation making it clear it's not an option and then let him go look for a plan B. No one would be stupid enough to lose resources over holiday plans. Nothing unusual or malicious here so far so no need to go to war just yet.
      This is the best advice for this situation and many others. I would add - involve the agent. They are paid to resolve these situations and they are good at it. The OPs position is very reasonable that the client is bound to come around. In fact the OP's case is so reasonable I am having a slight problem believing it.

Comment

Working...
      X