• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got an offer, but struggling with it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Nope, I'm just trying to rationalise a higher basic without benefits. As I said, the issue I have is a mental one - knowing there is a pay ceiling which I can't break.
    Then you need go here

Nope, I didn't apply, I got approached by a contact who has offered me the job. I didn't see a job advert for it and the salary figure was dropped into a conversation.
    In the grand scheme of things, it doesnt matter whether you applied or were 'headhunted' does it? Fact of the matter is you had to run to a forum of strangers for advice what to do! WTF!?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

How hard have you negotiated so far - or is this their first offer? At that kind of salary you presumably are important rather than another cog, and should be in a position to dictate some things.

I didn't see you mentioned pension details either, which could be a big deal?

I don't think I would expect overtime at that level, working long hours is likely part of the job.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I wouldn't even bother. Aside from the fact it's a permie role, £ 93k isn't a great deal. According to the IR35Calc web site, it's the equivalent of £ 412 / day outside IR35 or £ 521 / inside. I don't think that site factors in the tax optimisation of paying dividends to you and your spouse either. £ 93k, what a crock!

Like others say, because it's a decent salary (to most people), they'll want their pound of flesh, whereas roles paying £ 400-500 are ten-a-penny. Why would you even consider this? If it was a startup paying that rate, which I doubt it is, and there was the potential to make a very large amount of money on share options then that might be a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          I wouldn't even bother. Aside from the fact it's a permie role, £ 93k isn't a great deal. According to the IR35Calc web site, it's the equivalent of £ 412 / day outside IR35 or £ 521 / inside. I don't think that site factors in the tax optimisation of paying dividends to you and your spouse either. £ 93k, what a crock!

Like others say, because it's a decent salary (to most people), they'll want their pound of flesh, whereas roles paying £ 400-500 are ten-a-penny. Why would you even consider this? If it was a startup paying that rate, which I doubt it is, and there was the potential to make a very large amount of money on share options then that might be a different story.
          Unless he is learning something new, moving up the career ladder, getting a leg-up into senior management etc. Funny that, this whole thread has been focused on the financial aspects and no one has considered whether OP will be benefitting in other ways.

If somebody offered me a £100k job, I would consider it very seriously so long as I could improve myself professionally and if it was near to my home and if it didn't involve regular overseas travel (they'd have to wait for my contract to finish though )...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
            Unless he is learning something new, moving up the career ladder, getting a leg-up into senior management etc. Funny that, this whole thread has been focused on the financial aspects and no one has considered whether OP will be benefitting in other ways.

If somebody offered me a £100k job, I would consider it very seriously so long as I could improve myself professionally and if it was near to my home and if it didn't involve regular overseas travel (they'd have to wait for my contract to finish though )...
            Well the OP really only mentioned 1 positive (the salary) and then listed all the negatives. This sounds to me like he has already decided that the offer as it stands is not suitable for him at this time, but could change if those negatives are addressed.

The last time I was in a permie role (not that long ago) the unpaid overtime was a real killer on the work/life balance and I am glad to be out of it. It sounds like the OP is not happy with the offer... which means either to renegotiate or decline if they won't change the terms to something he is happy with.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

If somebody offer me £100k then I would consider it very seriously ditto. I would measure it to the benefits and the value it provides my family and my career. The OP is struggling with signing his soul to

It is weird that this sounds like a venture backed start-up at the high end. There is no mention of health care, life insurance, gym membership, contributory pension and surprisingly no equity. It is no good if the £93K factors a 4 hour round trip commute from A to B and there are no chance of remote/home working.

Also I don't know if the OP knows the person offering the job very well, like a previous manager or colleague. Is this a mate's rates deal? The £93K could have been retrieved from the recruitment agency budget originally(?). Therefore the salary could have been higher to the wider public job market. Has the OP looked and found what other people is the getting organisation could be getting for the same role and skills?

Sell your soul.

Comment

what else have you got on the table and what are you coming from?

a £500 a day contract role - dont do it
                a £200 a day contract role - do it
                nothing on the table - take it and if something better comes up quit...

Comment

Update - have used my usually extremely poor negotiating skills and got movement on some things - including salary (lower base, but higher potential return), more holiday, mileage expense. Healthcare possible in the future. Oh, and the deal clincher - macbook pro (was going to be a windows lappy).

Have accepted !

Comment

Update - have used my usually extremely poor negotiating skills and got movement on some things - including salary (lower base, but higher potential return), more holiday, mileage expense. Healthcare possible in the future. Oh, and the deal clincher - macbook pro (was going to be a windows lappy).

Have accepted !
                    Well done and good luck!
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Pointless now but if you were expecting to be doing some weekend work, couldn't you take the time off in lieu? I would have negotiated that in...

Comment

Working...
                      X