• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Got an offer, but struggling with it"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Pointless now but if you were expecting to be doing some weekend work, couldn't you take the time off in lieu? I would have negotiated that in...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Update - have used my usually extremely poor negotiating skills and got movement on some things - including salary (lower base, but higher potential return), more holiday, mileage expense. Healthcare possible in the future. Oh, and the deal clincher - macbook pro (was going to be a windows lappy).

Have accepted !
    Well done and good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Update - have used my usually extremely poor negotiating skills and got movement on some things - including salary (lower base, but higher potential return), more holiday, mileage expense. Healthcare possible in the future. Oh, and the deal clincher - macbook pro (was going to be a windows lappy).

Have accepted !

Leave a comment:

• TechJinx
    replied
    what else have you got on the table and what are you coming from?

a £500 a day contract role - dont do it
    a £200 a day contract role - do it
    nothing on the table - take it and if something better comes up quit...

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Unless he is learning something new, moving up the career ladder, getting a leg-up into senior management etc. Funny that, this whole thread has been focused on the financial aspects and no one has considered whether OP will be benefitting in other ways.

If somebody offered me a £100k job, I would consider it very seriously so long as I could improve myself professionally and if it was near to my home and if it didn't involve regular overseas travel (they'd have to wait for my contract to finish though )...
    If somebody offer me £100k then I would consider it very seriously ditto. I would measure it to the benefits and the value it provides my family and my career. The OP is struggling with signing his soul to

It is weird that this sounds like a venture backed start-up at the high end. There is no mention of health care, life insurance, gym membership, contributory pension and surprisingly no equity. It is no good if the £93K factors a 4 hour round trip commute from A to B and there are no chance of remote/home working.

Also I don't know if the OP knows the person offering the job very well, like a previous manager or colleague. Is this a mate's rates deal? The £93K could have been retrieved from the recruitment agency budget originally(?). Therefore the salary could have been higher to the wider public job market. Has the OP looked and found what other people is the getting organisation could be getting for the same role and skills?

Sell your soul.

Leave a comment:

• sartois
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Unless he is learning something new, moving up the career ladder, getting a leg-up into senior management etc. Funny that, this whole thread has been focused on the financial aspects and no one has considered whether OP will be benefitting in other ways.

If somebody offered me a £100k job, I would consider it very seriously so long as I could improve myself professionally and if it was near to my home and if it didn't involve regular overseas travel (they'd have to wait for my contract to finish though )...
    Well the OP really only mentioned 1 positive (the salary) and then listed all the negatives. This sounds to me like he has already decided that the offer as it stands is not suitable for him at this time, but could change if those negatives are addressed.

The last time I was in a permie role (not that long ago) the unpaid overtime was a real killer on the work/life balance and I am glad to be out of it. It sounds like the OP is not happy with the offer... which means either to renegotiate or decline if they won't change the terms to something he is happy with.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I wouldn't even bother. Aside from the fact it's a permie role, £ 93k isn't a great deal. According to the IR35Calc web site, it's the equivalent of £ 412 / day outside IR35 or £ 521 / inside. I don't think that site factors in the tax optimisation of paying dividends to you and your spouse either. £ 93k, what a crock!

Like others say, because it's a decent salary (to most people), they'll want their pound of flesh, whereas roles paying £ 400-500 are ten-a-penny. Why would you even consider this? If it was a startup paying that rate, which I doubt it is, and there was the potential to make a very large amount of money on share options then that might be a different story.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    I wouldn't even bother. Aside from the fact it's a permie role, £ 93k isn't a great deal. According to the IR35Calc web site, it's the equivalent of £ 412 / day outside IR35 or £ 521 / inside. I don't think that site factors in the tax optimisation of paying dividends to you and your spouse either. £ 93k, what a crock!

Like others say, because it's a decent salary (to most people), they'll want their pound of flesh, whereas roles paying £ 400-500 are ten-a-penny. Why would you even consider this? If it was a startup paying that rate, which I doubt it is, and there was the potential to make a very large amount of money on share options then that might be a different story.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    How hard have you negotiated so far - or is this their first offer? At that kind of salary you presumably are important rather than another cog, and should be in a position to dictate some things.

I didn't see you mentioned pension details either, which could be a big deal?

I don't think I would expect overtime at that level, working long hours is likely part of the job.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Nope, I'm just trying to rationalise a higher basic without benefits. As I said, the issue I have is a mental one - knowing there is a pay ceiling which I can't break.
    Then you need go here

Nope, I didn't apply, I got approached by a contact who has offered me the job. I didn't see a job advert for it and the salary figure was dropped into a conversation.
    In the grand scheme of things, it doesnt matter whether you applied or were 'headhunted' does it? Fact of the matter is you had to run to a forum of strangers for advice what to do! WTF!?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Part of the problem is just the mental limit - knowing that the gig will never make me over £93k
    Keep in mind that as you are probably the highest earner in your category you will be the first on the street when the next redundancy round comes. (I'm speaking from experience here)

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Got an offer, but struggling with it

Nope, I didn't apply, I got approached by a contact who has offered me the job. I didn't see a job advert for it and the salary figure was dropped into a conversation.
    Tell your contact you want another week of paid Holiday and a Christmas hamper from Waitrose, an you have a deal. Simples!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Thanks, will take a look at this.
    linky from direct.gov

The full sections title is tax relief for employees link

As you are a higher rate tax payer you will be claiming everything on your self assessment form then receiving the money back about 6-8 months into the next tax year. However the tax man will probably turn around and say you don't need to complete a self-assessment form as you are permie , unless you keep your limited company open. A couple of my friends' who have to claim things back have complained about this.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 16 November 2014, 22:14.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Go in both eyes open and have an exit strategy.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    LOL! As has already been pointed out, your 93K is to renumerate you for the lack of benefits. You seem to think you should be getting 93K plus benefits which, unless you are senior management, is going to be a big ask.
    Nope, I'm just trying to rationalise a higher basic without benefits. As I said, the issue I have is a mental one - knowing there is a pay ceiling which I can't break.

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    But surely you knew what the salary was when you applied? Didnt you state a salary plus benefits or did you just wade in with a salary of 90K-100K and not think about benefits?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X