• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Never thought it will happen to me...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never thought it will happen to me...

That's what people on those stupid tv shows say all the time, well, now it's my turn. I'm stuck in an interesting one - got offered a contract, accepted, started working. Initially (inbetween accepting and starting) there were some uncertainties about invoicing, as this was supposed to be an international gig, so potential for many taxmen with sticky hands Agent knew nothing and was worried about everything, I was trying to find a acceptable solution, but then the starting day came, agent made some aggreement witht the client and told me "you can work directly with them now, under any scheme they find acceptable", and (probably) went to the pub to celebrate.

Now I'm almost a month in, but have no written contract or any sort of paperwork with the client. They are a pretty big software house, seem legit for that matter, nice clients etc, and are totally cool about it - when I asked about it a couple of times, it was "don't worry, mate, HR is working on this". I think eventually papers will be produced, signed, monies paid, at the moment I find this whole thing to be more amusing than anything else. Agents and clients have been lax about signatures more than once before, just never that lax yet, I suppose live and learn.

So, dear comrades - have you heard of something like this, maybe happened to you too? Share your stories and comment!

so if you're direct with clientCo now, do you have written down confirmation of day rate?

Comment

They are engaging you as a LTD or a sole trader?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A month in? Get something (anything!) in writing asap. Take a day off and say your not coming back in until it's all sorted.

Good luck.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by mrv View Post
          when I asked about it a couple of times, it was "don't worry, mate, HR is working on this"

You are a supplier, so why has this got anything to do with HR rather than AP and procurement?

You need to quickly sort out what rate the client is expecting to pay, and how they are expecting you to work. If you aren't careful, you'll end up with nothing.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You'll be amused right up to the point when you realise you aren't getting paid.

Then it will be another story..
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by mrv View Post
              "don't worry, mate, HR is working on this"
              This would worry me very much. Probably HR needs to raise a PO for your work and if the PO gets rejected or it can take months for it to be processed, you're f##ked

Comment

Have you even got an email or two with the full names of the people with financial responsibility on it saying you are engaged?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Join the PCG, use their template services contract and amend to suit. Present this to the client and get it signed ASAP.

Then raise your first invoice to cover the month worked.

You are a business, not a charity.

Unless of course, you are a permie, or a charity.

Comment

Agent was mentioned. Surely this means you're not direct with client then?

Im sorry I wouldnt be there unless agent sorted out contract with my ltd. Nothing to do with client - thats agents problem to sort out their contract with them.

This can only end badly. Client is being nice but it'll all change and they wont give a monkeys if it all goes wrong and they dont pay.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X