• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damn you would have thought the remainers might have said something

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

You'd think it would be easier using Brits. No language issues, no need to fly them in or provide accommodation. ut they just want too much money and expect a decent employment contraact

I guess the farmers prefer to stick with a tried and tested exploitation formula. They know Eastern Europeans they are cheap and do as they are told even it its illegal
    FTFY
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I guess the farmers prefer to stick with a tried and tested exploitation formula. They know Eastern Europeans they are cheap and do as they are told even it its illegal
      How are they exploiting them? Paying less than the minimum wage, or something else?

What are they getting them to do that is illegal?

Are most farmers, who employ Eastern Europeans, doing this?
      Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 4 July 2021, 07:18.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

How are they exploiting them? Paying less than the minimum wage, or something else?

What are they getting them to do that is illegal?

Are most farmers, who employ Eastern Europeans, doing this?
        Try this

https://www.gov.uk/agricultural-work...ts/gangmasters

Comment

let's settle this one out once and for all:
          - british people will never work agriculture roles unless they are forced to(cutting benefits)
          - if you cut benefits, which is a deserved consensus people have earned over time, you will open the system to even more abuse
          - automation is not very likely to happen in mid-term for field picking or activities that need attention and are labour intensive now

- so you are back at bringing people in to pick the crops or just give up on agriculture (which seemed to be encouraged by gov as well)

the only direct results we have seen from brexit is people have been stripped of rights and liberties. We could still argue that society will change for the better, and i truly hope it will but do think what is more likely to happen and that is: more abuse and more control over workers.

the great breadwinner for UK is financial services and most likely it was the main driver of brexit and as well the main benefiter now. FS might sprinkle some cash to the rest of the population but I am not quite sure if will be enough to keep decent standards. And it relies on their good will...

they want stable political system and docile population they might sprinkle some cash but I think they will force people as well to move somewhere else. Manufacturing will probably be gone, only some IT jobs and potentially some engineering and pharma. But if you do not have close agreements with other countries(labour, standards, environment), it is not very likely they will allow you to produce things and sell to them. (not equal playing field for companies that produce them)

Comment

Encouraging people to work when entrenched on benefits only works when we have near full employment. Hopefully with a lack of cheap imports that will happen soon.

Automation is already happening.

https://www.fanaticalfuturist.com/20...pples-an-hour/

The majority of harvests, such as wheat, corn, green beans, tomatoes and many other crops have been mechanised for years, decades even, but for more fragile, and arguably fiddly, produce like apples, berries, grapes and lettuce, where the crop’s appearance is especially important, have remained stubbornly resistant – in part because, up until recently, the technology simply hasn’t been available. But now new advances in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Vision and robotics are helping companies overcome the hurdles that once kept them at bay.

Members of the $7.5 billion annual Washington agriculture industry have long grappled with labour shortages, and today many of them depend on workers coming up from Mexico each year to harvest the crops, and now, worker shortages, which might be compounded by the new Trump administrations new immigration policies, seems to have many farmers looking for alternatives.
            Oh strange the US is having the same issue maybe the Americans are too lazy to pick fruit so that is why the hire Mexicans?

Abusing cheap labour is finishing. This is a massive improvement.

As always we will survive but I am glad its changing.

Now if you want to continue talking rowlocks about brits not wanting to work, or how unfair it is for farmers and hauliers to actually pay a living wage do carry on we will just keep laughing at you sad slaver apologits !.

It happened because of brexit and the wages are finally going up - hooray!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              It happened because of brexit and the wages are finally going up - hooray!
              you do live in your little world and I think you've been so brainwashed that even if the facts will hit you in the head, you won't recognise them. It is so against your identity, everything you value in life that you will never be able to admit it. For me this conversation was not going to get anywhere anyway so... do not particularly care.

But I do have a thing for winding old people up so...

There is a quote in The Economist:
              The party faithful are like J.R.R. Tolkien's hobbits, who desire noting more than to live in a well-maintained hobbit hole overlooking river and meadows, and for nothing to change. More than half of Tory voters in the 2019 ekection were over 55, and a third were retired. A disporportionate share owned their homes and were in defined-benefit pension schemes. For them growth is all downside. If the economy stagnates they are still snug and cosy, but if it booms they may find their trains overcrowded or their views destroyed.
              Hobbits in the shires will argue that houses are certanly needed - but should be built in the north or in cities, not in their own backyards, though that is where prices are highest and demand is strongest.

The party faithful may be happy adn the Tories may even keep winning. But the children of Brexit voters in left-behind places will still be left behind, and those of the shire hobbits will be unable to afford holes of their own.
              the hobbit holes and their celebratory co-op mini pork pies that are made out of plastic and pork rectums that is what life is all about.

the country is run by the financial elites and crony capitalist that keep a buffer of idiots on their payroll to hide their decisions behind. they are not too smart but not too dim, they keep promoting some nonsense values and an ideology that resonates with them, they drink your cool-aid for life.
              Last edited by GigiBronz; 4 July 2021, 21:52.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

you do live in your little world and I think you've been so brainwashed that even if the facts will hit you in the head, you won't recognise them. It is so against your identity, everything you value in life that you will never be able to admit it. For me this conversation was not going to get anywhere anyway so... do not particularly care.

But I do have a thing for winding old people up so...

There is a quote in The Economist:

the hobbit holes and their celebratory co-op mini pork pies that are made out of plastic and pork rectums that is what life is all about.

the country is run by the financial elites and crony capitalist that keep a buffer of idiots on their payroll to hide their decisions behind. not too smart but not too dim, you keep promoting some nonsense values and an ideology that resonates with them, they drink your cool-aid for life.
                Feck me what have you been smoking? You make Jeremy Corbyn's rants look rational!

Comment

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/busin...orkers-in-2021

"The number of workers permitted to travel to the UK to pick and package fruit and vegetables is to treble in 2021, as part of an expanded Seasonal Workers Scheme."
                  Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 5 July 2021, 07:03.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/busin...orkers-in-2021

"The number of workers permitted to travel to the UK to pick and package fruit and vegetables is to treble in 2021, as part of an expanded Seasonal Workers Scheme."
                    From what I understand the new workers are being exploited because they're tied to the employer and they have no opportunity to move. The previous EU migrants used to return every year and were quite happy with the working conditions.

So looks like the new immigration rules have created a situation of even lower wages and more exploitation.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

From what I understand the new workers are being exploited because they're tied to the employer and they have no opportunity to move. The previous EU migrants used to return every year and were quite happy with the working conditions.

So looks like the new immigration rules have created a situation of even lower wages and more exploitation.

who could have thought of that? the boys have been putting a good fight for them, they did not vote out of pure ignorance and xenophobia.

Comment

Working...
                      X