• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damn you would have thought the remainers might have said something

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Well if I had been Rishi I would be offering those on furlough access to remote training from the start. I would make future furlough payments loans against future company earnings notice period for those on furlough becomes 3 months. In 3 months many will be retrained.
    Training might not of been offered by the Gov but it was a permitted activity - I had an apprentice go on Furlough for 3mth last year - set up lots of training for her so skills improvement has happened in some areas
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Training might not of been offered by the Gov but it was a permitted activity - I had an apprentice go on Furlough for 3mth last year - set up lots of training for her so skills improvement has happened in some areas
      excellent news, the apprentice is more valuable to you & others. I suspect you are unusual among employers.

In April they released training that was free to anyone who haven't got an NVQ level 3, personally I would have changed the furlough earlier so if they aren't training the employer has to pay a percentage (like in September) and any uk national (or paying uk tax) that is on furlough, unemployed or even working (a well trained workforce is worth the small investment) can study.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Well, Brits haven't picked veg round our way for decades.

In recent years, some local farmers have tried hiring Brits but they found them to be unreliable and nowhere near as hard working as the foreign workers.
        Have a look at the stories around the uk farm worker scheme hundreds of thousands applied very few got jobs.

I and more importantly the facts have found farmers far more exploitative and less focussed on welfare than other bosses.

If you are into exploiting cheap imported staff because they are desperate because there is no well paying work in their home county then you should fit right in.

The other option for the farmers is automation, if they had started 5 years ago the majority would be saving money using machines.

Comment

Have a look at the stories around the uk farm worker scheme hundreds of thousands applied very few got jobs.

I and more importantly the facts have found farmers far more exploitative and less focussed on welfare than other bosses.

If you are into exploiting cheap imported staff because they are desperate because there is no well paying work in their home county then you should fit right in.

The other option for the farmers is automation, if they had started 5 years ago the majority would be saving money using machines.
          Is that the farmers, and farming communities, that overwhelmingly supported Brexit?
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Is that the farmers, and farming communities, that overwhelmingly supported Brexit?
            I don't know why don't you try to find some facts?

Comment

Do you have a link for that?

All I can find on Google about farm worker schemes refers to migrant workers eg. SAWS which operated from 1948 until the end of 2013.

The following tallies with what's happened in our area over the past 30 years.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/bri...icultural-work

8. Until the mid-1990s, producers used a mix of locals, British students and SAWS students for harvesting. Since then, the supply of British workers has fallen. By early 2014, only eight out of over 500 surveyed farms employed seasonal workers who were UK nationals.[19] This has occurred in part because the size of the rural working-class is smaller, there are more opportunities in service-based occupations, and farm work has largely lost its social status. Many such jobs are also both hard for urban workers to get to and are low-paid due to margin pressure from supermarkets.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

All I can find on Google about farm worker schemes refers to migrant workers eg. SAWS which operated from 1948 until the end of 2013.

The following tallies with what's happened in our area over the past 30 years.

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/bri...icultural-work

8. Until the mid-1990s, producers used a mix of locals, British students and SAWS students for harvesting. Since then, the supply of British workers has fallen. By early 2014, only eight out of over 500 surveyed farms employed seasonal workers who were UK nationals.[19] This has occurred in part because the size of the rural working-class is smaller, there are more opportunities in service-based occupations, and farm work has largely lost its social status. Many such jobs are also both hard for urban workers to get to and are low-paid due to margin pressure from supermarkets.
                OK so brits don't want to do it because the pay is poor.

I assume you accept jobs for minimum wage, where much of your wage is paid out for tied housing and work starting at dawn and runs over 48 hours ? Benefits for parents pay out something like a £20,000 salary without the costs of going to work.

The pay is poor because supermarkets screw farmers.

The response was to hire cheap imported labour not fix the problem.

Options they have.
                1.automate = no wages!
                2.raise wages and either force supermarkets to pay more or find alternate customers (like veg boxes).
                3.moan that British people don't want to be treated like slaves for minimum wage or below if you force them to pay for housing. Demand they can import government subsidised cheap labour.

which one did they choose?

Comment

strange it was all over the news

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/pi...to-bear-fruit/

Although Pick for Britain attracted a lot of interest – with tens of thousands of British people applying for thousands of roles during the first national lockdown – and received backing from the likes of Waitrose, relatively small numbers of recruits made it onto farms with estimates suggesting UK-born workers made up only between 5% and 11% of the 70,000 picking and packing roles required across the 2020 season. Nine in 10 seasonal agricultural workers were from the EU a study found.
                  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...in-scheme.html

One frustrated applicant told Aljazeera he sent out 35 CVs to farms across the country which were advertising on a website called British Summer Fruits, but did not get a single response.

'I was in a Catch-22 – their websites were telling me you don't need training, but when I was phoning up, they were telling me you do need training. So which is it?' he said.

Comment

I used farming as an example because I've witnessed that 1st hand. But it's not just farming, there are loads of lower paid jobs that Brits don't want to do.

I wonder how much you'd have to increase the pay by to get Brits to do these jobs?

Personally, I'd rather do farm work than work in a call centre (which is my idea of hell) but I don't think that's true of most younger people.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I used farming as an example because I've witnessed that 1st hand. But it's not just farming, there are loads of lower paid jobs that Brits don't want to do.

I wonder how much you'd have to increase the pay by to get Brits to do these jobs?

Personally, I'd rather do farm work than work in a call centre (which is my idea of hell) but I don't think that's true of most younger people.
                      As above you are clearly wrong tens of thousands of Brits applied for the jobs mainly because they could be combined with furlough or it didn't affect their benefits. Apparently they weren't suitable for these below minimum wage (after housing) jobs no valid reason seems forthcoming.

All the time they are minimum wage people who have any sense won't want to do these poorly paid insecure jobs. They are minimum wage because people from countries in Eastern Europe will do them for cheap.

I work for decent pay, I have worked for less because there was a recession or I had a bump in my career but no I won't get up at 4am for £300 a week when I will get more in benefits. Will you impoverish your family so you can do farm work?

Strange my adult kids have all had low paid jobs while at college & university just like I did. But working hospitality pays better than farm work, its indoor work (so rain won't stop PAY) and is all year round so its a better choice. They get more work at XMAS & Holidays. My daughter will be coaching sport in the holidays because it pays more than working in the takeaway should she turn the coaching job down because the takeaway who pays a lot less might need her? Or should she give it all up and live in a caravan so she can pick fruit when they want you on a zero hour contract?

Annually hospitality, retail & services find people to help in stores etc at XMAS etc. they pay a premium on their standard wages to encourage people to take seasonal jobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X