• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damn you would have thought the remainers might have said something

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But doesn't Brexit fix all this? No more reliance on cheap foreign labour.

Maybe over the next year or so wages will rise for crap jobs like veg picking, meat packing and cleaning.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Maybe over the next year or so wages will rise for crap jobs like veg picking, meat packing and cleaning.
      It seems that is already happening with the whines coming from the various employers being now forced to pay a living wage.

I don't know why anyone with any sense would support further abuse.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

And consumers will complain about the increase in the cost of food with trade deals bringing in cheaper produce and our home grown industry will die off. It feels like we've already been there, done that.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

And consumers will complain about the increase in the cost of food with trade deals bringing in cheaper produce and our home grown industry will die off. It feels like we've already been there, done that.
          We could have protected it any time we wanted. I suppose this is how the plantation owners complained when slavery was abolished.

We probably could still avoid the issue by automating and beat our competitors who still use manual labour.

Just remember before the combine harvester.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I don't know why don't you try to find some facts?
            The answer is yes, farmers (mostly in England) voted out. As such, I'm happy they get what they voted for as they did 'win', didn't they

https://www.bidwells.co.uk/what-we-t...ferendum-poll/
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

The answer is yes, farmers (mostly in England) voted out. As such, I'm happy they get what they voted for as they did 'win', didn't they

https://www.bidwells.co.uk/what-we-t...ferendum-poll/
              577 is not a large sample.

They voted for a lack of CAPs - which they got.

The ones not getting subsidies from the EU voted to lose the subsidies.

They knew that the overseas workers would dry up and were open to mechanisation.

You keep supporting exploitation it looks good on you!

Comment

577 is not a large sample.

They voted for a lack of CAPs - which they got.

The ones not getting subsidies from the EU voted to lose the subsidies.

They knew that the overseas workers would dry up and were open to mechanisation.

You keep supporting exploitation it looks good on you!
                Interesting Not sure I've said anywhere I support any of this ... I'm laughing at your desperation to try to find something, anything, that supports Brexit

How about this poll from 2017 ... slightly larger sample size, same results

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/farmer-su...w-poll-reveals
                Last edited by Whorty; 1 July 2021, 18:08.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Interesting Not sure I've said anywhere I support any of this ... I'm laughing at your desperation to try to find something, anything, that supports Brexit

How about this poll from 2017 ... slightly larger sample size, same results

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/farmer-su...w-poll-reveals
                  vaccination good, exchange rate good. the EU butt fecked - we are done here!

Comment

oh look it seems the farmers didn't want brits.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/low-paid-jobs-...19-and-brexit/

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...-uk-applicants

hmm

Comment

You'd think it would be easier using Brits. No language issues, no need to fly them in or provide accommodation.

I guess the farmers prefer to stick with a tried and tested formula. They know Eastern Europeans stay the course and get the job done. Why risk your crop on an unknown quantity.
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X