• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Damn you would have thought the remainers might have said something

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Its not just salary, there are some other perks and benefits to being a truck driver:

I'd be suing the makers of that for the trade descriptions act ... most truck drivers I've seen in their vans* are less 'buff' and more 'Greggs'

* when I'm driving, not who I've visited in their vans, before anyone gets smart @rsy !
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

So are you on the right thinking the Beeb is too lefty, or on the left thinking it's too right wing?

Every news outlet has some bias, of course they do, they have to 'win' clicks and views. But of the choices, I'd pick the Beeb any day over the other news outlets.
      It's even too much effort to think of it in left or right. It is clear that their message is there to confuse and push you further from the truth.

But that is how you keep the population in line and so probably serves a purpose beyond my understanding.

I only read bloomberg that I got a dodgy license off ebay for £30 (news only, no terminal) and have an Economist subscription.

"if you believe BBC is objective, you've lived under a rock for the previous 40 years.
      they charge you money to brainwash you
      it's a disgrace
      it's one of the most cancerous piece of infrastructure in the west.
      the agenda is outrageous
      "
      Last edited by GigiBronz; 11 June 2021, 15:12.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

It's even too much effort to think of it in left or right. It is clear that their message is there to confuse and push you further from the truth.

But that is how you keep the population in line and so probably serves a purpose beyond my understanding.

I only read bloomberg that I got a dodgy license off ebay for £30 (news only, no terminal) and have an Economist subscription.

"if you believe BBC is objective, you've lived under a rock for the previous 40 years.
        they charge you money to brainwash you
        it's a disgrace
        it's one of the most cancerous piece of infrastructure in the west.
        the agenda is outrageous
        "
        Hmmm, yes, I can see that there has been some brainwashing .... but I don't think it's from the BBC* fella

Unless you think Springwatch, and Sewing Bee, are nefarious in their messages?

* BBC is more than just a news channel
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          Unless you think Springwatch, and Sewing Bee, are nefarious in their messages?
          The documentaries and being a good citizen is the only reason I pay my tv license. BBC news is the reason I wish I didn't. The rest are the same... so I don't discriminate.

A lot of times, news coming out of RT might be more objective. Unless it is about Russia, when it is quite obvious they are misleading. But RT on West is better than BBC news on West.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Why has there been a shortage of drivers for years?

Why shouldn't lorry drivers be paid a fair wage?
            HGV drivers do get a fair wage. Always have.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 12 June 2021, 09:26.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

and your reputable source for this is?

Maybe you can explain why so many HGV drivers were from Eastern Europe? What effect did that have on wages?

Do you never get fed up posting tulip?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

2016 report from parliament - https://old.parliament.uk/business/c...blished-16-17/

Inadequate roadside provision - https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/ne...s-year-244236/

Driver shortage and wage increases - https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/the-groc...656892.article

Driver shortage and the causes- https://inews.co.uk/news/hgv-driver-...brexit-1047059

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The average salary of an HGV driver is over 30 grand. For forty years this was no problem. It has suddenly become one. Has this occured because the HGV drivers were underpaid for 40 years and have suddenly realised they couldn't earn a fair wage?
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

The average salary of an HGV driver is over 30 grand. For forty years this was no problem. It has suddenly become one. Has this occured because the HGV drivers were underpaid for 40 years and have suddenly realised they couldn't earn a fair wage?
                    boomer mentality. Click image for larger version

Name:	a41.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	4167584

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

boomer mentality. Click image for larger version  Name:	a41.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	4167584
                      So you think everyone should simply earn double?

They tried that in the 1970's, it doesn't work.

It started with the miners who got a 30-40% pay rise probably even more. Then the factory workers got 30-40% wage rises, then the shop assistants etc etc. One year later inflation was at 30%.

It wouldn't surprise me though if they were to try again.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 June 2021, 14:14.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X