• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Muppet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Really pleased Spain are exercising their sovereign right to identify and deport illegal immigrants. Why should they have to support these economic migrants taking advantage of Spanish public services?
    How is your Cyprus villa going now?

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Really pleased Spain are exercising their sovereign right to identify and deport illegal immigrants. Why should they have to support these economic migrants taking advantage of Spanish public services?
    Last edited by _V_; 29 March 2021, 15:15.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I imagine there will be some very worried gangsters who have fled the UK to run their empires. Good chance for the Spanish to clean up the Costa Del Crime tag.
    As long as they've got a decent amount of money, they'll have no trouble qualifying for residency. And actually they may be safer now from the reach of the police in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I imagine there will be some very worried gangsters who have fled the UK to run their empires. Good chance for the Spanish to clean up the Costa Del Crime tag.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Our Ayuntamiento (town hall) have been going to great lengths to inform people what they need to, even going as far as admitting they know how to speak English which they have never done before!
    From what I've read, you now need to prove that you can financially support yourself to be allowed to stay. Many brits living over there may have little more than the state pension, and I don't know if that would be enough to qualify.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    the Brexiteers mostly wanted rid of illegal immigrants.
    That's what they're getting.

Now they are coming over here to buy houses and be a drain on the NHS. And NOT EVEN WORK.
    What?!?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    the Brexiteers mostly wanted rid of illegal immigrants.
    That's what they're getting.

Now they are coming over here to buy houses and be a drain on the NHS. And NOT EVEN WORK.

Leave a comment:

• Sameissue
    replied
    Have to agree

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I think if anyone properly read the immigration laws of the country they wanted to live in, they would have discovered that freedom of movement didn't confer a right to live there on a permanent basis.

I know people who 20-odd years ago moved to Spain and refused to properly register locally because they didn't want to affect their benefits in the UK (NHS treatment, pension, etc). They came back to the UK well before Brexit was a thing due to ill health but, while they were there, they didn't bother learning the language any further than being able to order some dinner and do a bit of shopping. They took 11 month rental agreeements and then would move so as to avoid some residency requirements (I don't know the details). I suspect, if they were still there, they would be exactly the sort of person complaining now.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post

That's exactly what they were doing as the rules then allowed it. Now they have to be formally registered, apply for residence etc. and meet all the 3rd country immigrant criteria, which many of them either can't or never thought they would have to do so never bothered.

Ironically now is probably a good time to be going the other way if you can meet the requirements. There's going to be a lot of cheap property for sale.
    Technically you don't didn't need to register, but you have to register for an NIE number (Número de Identificación de Extranjero) if you want to (legally) own property or a car in Spain, have a Spanish bank account or health insurance. Which they would have needed to prove they have been in the country for the last 5 years prior to the 31st December 2020 to be allowed to stay after 31st March which is why they are more than likely to have been rejected.

Our Ayuntamiento (town hall) have been going to great lengths to inform people what they need to, even going as far as admitting they know how to speak English which they have never done before! Although we are a small village in the arse end of nowhere we have to integrate with the local community. I'd bet anything Shaun and co are in Benidorm or similar, only speak to other English people who are equally uninformed, go to English pubs and shop at the English Corner Shop where they get their stock of PG tips and Heinz baked beans imported from back home
    Last edited by SimonMac; 29 March 2021, 08:50.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X