• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crap deal will fail parliament, new referendum coming: vote Real Brexit!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there is a second referendum, the Leave campaign will be massively bolstered by the EU's attempts to tie the UK down permanently. Whilst the agreement says it is intended to be temporary, all the EU has to do is not bother negotiating a subsequent agreement and hey ho - permanent vassalage. And for that reason, the Withdrawal Agreement is a sham. The EU would have been in no worse position had their been a 2 year exit clause. All this does is put in writing that the EU holds all the cards.

So this WA has, IMHO, increased our chances of a Hard No Deal Brexit, even if there is a second referendum. The argument that the EU tried to punish the UK fails for the most part, except this.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
      If the only thing keeping the UK in the customs union is the Irish border, and the Good Friday agreement is what is preventing us having a hard border here, and the reason for keeping the Good Friday agreement is to stop the IRA from terrorising us, then we are letting the IRA in effect tell us that we cannot be a sovereign nation.

i.e. the IRA have defeated us.

There is only therefore one answer to this, and that is to break the Good Friday agreement, put up a hard border there, and let the Irish Republic, the EU, and the IRA, go swivel.
      So many strawmen here, you should have a bonfire.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        So many strawmen here, you should have a bonfire.
        If these are straw-men arguments, then we can ignore them as not being relevant. We can therefore leave the EU, leave the Good Friday Agreement, and leave the customs union with no possible adverse consequences.

Comment

If the only thing keeping the UK in the customs union is the Irish border, and the Good Friday agreement is what is preventing us having a hard border here, and the reason for keeping the Good Friday agreement is to stop the IRA from terrorising us, then we are letting the IRA in effect tell us that we cannot be a sovereign nation.

There is only therefore one answer to this, and that is to break the Good Friday agreement, put up a hard border there, and let the Irish Republic, the EU, and the IRA, go swivel.
          I’d rather let Northern Ireland go and let the DUP go swivel.

It’s going happen anyway, let it go now.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

You mean you would like to let Northern Ireland leave the UK and merge with the Irish Republic? If so yes that would solve the problem. It would also allow the IRA to claim they have won their war (by virtue of having united the north and south of Ireland).
            Personally I have no objection to that idea. But I don't think I would be saying that if I was a Northern Ireland protestant.

Comment

If these are straw-men arguments, then we can ignore them as not being relevant. We can therefore leave the EU, leave the Good Friday Agreement, and leave the customs union with no possible adverse consequences.
              Your first sentence here is correct, we can ignore your previous IF statements as not being relevant (or correct).

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Your first sentence here is correct, we can ignore your previous IF statements as not being relevant (or correct).
                I don't believe my IF statement is correct though. I.e. I don't think my train of reasoning is straw man.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I don't know a single person, who isn't a NI Unionist, who thinks that NI being part of the UK is sensible in the slightest.
                  And given that the original reason for the unionists was that the Catholics were regressive by nature, yet now the Republic is way more progressive than NI itself (gayness and abortion mainly), that argument is dead.

The only problem is the massive cuntiness of the unionist para-militarys (terrorists) who would just kill people to make a point.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

A: These are straw-men arguments, that can be ignored as not being relevant.
                    B: We can leave the EU, leave the Good Friday Agreement, and leave the customs union with no possible adverse consequences.[

B does not follow from A.

HTH.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Crap deal will fail parliament, new referendum coming: vote Real Brexit!

I don't believe my IF statement is correct though.
                      Neither do I.

I.e. I don't think my train of reasoning is straw man.
                      Here, let me help:

If the only thing keeping the UK in the customs union is the Irish border
                      The border is not what is keeping the U.K. in the Customs Union. It’s what is temporarily keeping Northern Ireland in the CU until rUK comes up with a better solution. It was Westminster that requested that the rUK also be kept in the CU.
                      Therefore, the thing that is keeping the U.K. in the Customs Union is the U.K. request for the whole of the U.K. to be kept in the Customs Union.
                      For the avoidance of doubt, there are already differences in customs checks between NI and GB. I’ve been checked more for ham sandwiches at Derry airport during the BSE crisis flying in from Stansted than I ever have for passport control.

, and the Good Friday agreement is what is preventing us having a hard border here,
                      The GFA is important, but says nothing about controlling borders. The WTO however does say that nations should control their borders. If the U.K. wants to diverge in Customs and phytosanitary regulations then it doesn’t matter what the GFA says.
                      The WTO can’t insist on their being borders, but they set out the rules for other countries to take action if we unilaterally allow goods unchecked into our country from one party without offering it to everyone. And vice versa.

and the reason for keeping the Good Friday agreement is to stop the IRA from terrorising us,
                      A key objective of the GFA is, admittedly, peace in NI. The mechanism to achieve this is through treating one side like it is one island, and the other by acknowledging that they are part of the U.K.

Little known fact though, there were two parties to the violence in Northern Ireland (three if you count the British Army). It wasn’t just the IRA terrorising “us”. If you count “us” as including Northern Irish people.

then we are letting the IRA in effect tell us that we cannot be a sovereign nation.
                      Define sovereign. Being in a Customs Union is not losing sovereignty, it’s pooling it. There are benefits as well as disadvantages, that normally happens in any agreement between two parties.

You alternative being....:

Hmmm. Not sure that diplomacy is your best career choice. Are you sure that there is only one answer, and not many different answers that offer various degrees of choice?
                      Last edited by meridian; 17 November 2018, 22:04.

Comment

Working...
                      X