• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would hardline brexiteers be willing to give up NI altogheter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    The only solution is a united Ireland. As part of the UK...
    We can't afford to provide the NHS to Eire.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      And there's part of the problem right there.....It's supposed to be a 'United kingdom' you ******* moron.
      I disagree on this context. Scotland is almost as partisan as NI. I have no knowledge of what the Welsh think so don’t presume to speak for them. I know what the English think and they don’t give a hoot about whether NI is UK or not.
      So you’re the moron missing the point.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Sorry I didn't link to my source for the data, but here it is:
        https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/public...13-and-2013-14

Scotland isn't as sticky a subject as:
        1. They don't have a physical land border with an EU country
        2. The question of Scotland being part of the UK has not caused 3,000+ deaths in the last few decades
        3. Scotland has somewhere to house nuclear subs
        4. Scotland has somewhere to house Paul Dacre
        5. Scotland has oil
        And Scotland agreed to stay in the UK without resorting to killing each other.
        Kinda important that one.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
          The only solution is a united Ireland. As part of the UK...
          Part of the EU you mean surely?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            According to 'figures', Scotland is also a drain on the UK. Shouldn't the UK government then be advocating its break up on financial grounds ?
            According to figures, the rest of England is a drain on London.

I advocate the Independent Kingdom of London, with border posts at each junction of the M25.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Part of the EU you mean surely?
              No, part of the UK.

It was something that I discussed with others recently (can't remember if I posted about it on here)

Option 1: UK (including NI) outside EU, Ireland inside. Issue: The Border, CTA
              Option 2: GB outside EU, Ireland (island) inside. Issue: Free movement of goods and people for Ireland would be difficult, since geographically most goes through the UK, CTA
              Option 3: UK & Ireland outside the EU. No issue with the border, no issue with the CTA, no issue with free movement of goods and services. Only the minor ( :lol: ) issue that the Irish don't want it.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                No, part of the UK.

It was something that I discussed with others recently (can't remember if I posted about it on here)

Option 1: UK (including NI) outside EU, Ireland inside. Issue: The Border, CTA
                Option 2: GB outside EU, Ireland (island) inside. Issue: Free movement of goods and people for Ireland would be difficult, since geographically most goes through the UK, CTA
                Option 3: UK & Ireland outside the EU. No issue with the border, no issue with the CTA, no issue with free movement of goods and services. Only the minor ( :lol: ) issue that the Irish don't want it.
                Option 4: cancel this tulipshow and all stay in the EU.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Option 4: cancel this tulipshow and all stay in the EU.
                  Unacceptable - we have voted and the majority have chosen that we leave.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    Unacceptable - we have voted and the majority have chosen that we leave.
                    We shall see. By the time any deal has been fudged we’d be better off inside with a rebate, a veto and influence.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

We shall see. By the time any deal has been fudged we’d be better off inside with a rebate, a veto and influence.
                      Who would negotiate that then?

There is no way on earth that the EU would offer that. Their treatment of Cameron the last time he went cap-in-hand certainly did something to contribute to the referendum result.

Comment

Working...
                      X