• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why you will want to vote Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The Conservative party will fall apart, I think that's pretty clear and we can see in the recent polls, Corbyn is making headway, with a broken Conservative party should be a wheeze. People are getting used to him.
    It depends on the magnitude of the Remain win. Almost certainly, the backbenchers (even now) could put together 50 letters for the 1922 Committee, but it isn't that simple. The Eurosceptics need a pathway to achieving their aim, which is to put in place a Eurosceptic leader and retain power in 2020. I can see one of three things happening. Remain win big, Cameron is gifted the authority for a significant reshuffle, bringing in Gove, promoting Patel (perhaps), promoting Johnson, but removing Grayling and a few others. The backbenchers will keep their powder dry with a significant win for Remain, knowing that any future leadership contest (before 2020) will be won by a Eurosceptic. In that case, the Tories stay together. Leave win, and Cameron is instantly gone. Again, the Tories stay together (because the remaniacs are unlikely to risk power in 2020). A close result, Remain or Leave; this is the most dangerous result for the Tories, because Euroscepetics would feel they could trigger a leadership contest and win, based on the way the gov't has conducted itself. If the latter is a close win for Remain, Cameron will try to do the same as a big win for Remain, but it's doubtful he could achieve this. There would be open warfare, very little contentious gov't business would go through, and this may result in a definitive split in the Tories.

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
      The Robbie Fowler method is tried and tested
      It has Brexit compatibility built in.

Borrow quick and as much as you can.
      I don't need any more money - fine as I am, thanks.
      Have reached peak stuff - travelling is my main indulgence nowadays.
      As someone said travel is the only way to spend money and come back richer.
      Fancy a stint working in Switzerland, did it before.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I don't need any more money - fine as I am, thanks.
        Have reached peak stuff - travelling is my main indulgence nowadays.
        As someone said travel is the only time to spend money and come back richer.
        Fancy a stint working in Switzerland, did it before.
        sure you're not a permie

Comment

Yes it will be interesting.

I can see a Brexit happening, and I think in the end it will make sod all difference. Britain will do what Norway did and sign up to the EU as a non-member, because of it's reliance on services and need for the City to continue to access the ECB in order to finance it's Euro trading, the agreement will probably look very similar indeed to the agreement we have now. In order to make something more of a significant break it would have to give that up and I can't see that happening.

However up until the agreement stands things will be "exciting" and probably we would end up with Corbyn as prime minister.
          If we stay in it will be taken as a vote for 'ever closer union' the European experiment will continue.

Cameron said as much yesterday, a vote for him in the last election was a vote to remain, not a vote against Millibrain.

I don't want that , I would prefer to be like Norway than an occupied Vichy France. Yes I do believe that is a possible future even if our lords & masters don't wear swastikas it may well evolve to the 4th Reich.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
            sure you're not a permie
            Nope. Have started working 6-9 months of the year, from home exclusively, take the other months off.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              If we stay in it will be taken as a vote for 'ever closer union' the European experiment will continue.

Cameron said as much yesterday, a vote for him in the last election was a vote to remain, not a vote against Millibrain.

I don't want that , I would prefer to be like Norway than an occupied Vichy France. Yes I do believe that is a possible future even if our lords & masters don't wear swastikas it may well evolve to the 4th Reich.
              When you say we have to be part of an ever closer Union, in what way ?

We're not part of the Euro, we won't be part of a European army, there's no plan to create a European NHS, nor is there a plan to create a European education authority, and there is also no plan to unify criminal law. or create a European police force. There is also no plan to unify taxation apart from minimum rates on VAT which Norway agrees to and they're talking about abolishing, and the UK has an exemption from Schengen.

What exactly do you mean? if we stay what will we be part of that Norway isn't? and surely if the UK gets an exemption from the Euro won't it also get an exemption for anything else similar ?
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

When you say we have to be part of an ever closer Union, in what way ?

We're not part of the Euro, we won't be part of a European army, there's no plan to create a European NHS, nor is there a plan to create a European education authority, and there is also no plan to unify criminal law. or create a European police force. There is also no plan to unify taxation apart from minimum rates on VAT which Norway agrees to and they're talking about abolishing, and the UK has an exemption from Schengen.

What exactly do you mean? if we stay what will we be part of that Norway isn't? and surely if the UK gets an exemption from the Euro won't it also get an exemption for anything else similar ?
                Mr Lamsdorff – also known as Count Lamsdorff as he is part of the German aristocracy – sits as an MEP for the country’s liberal Free Democratic Party.

Five years ago he was quoted saying: ‘It was a mistake to admit the British into the European Union.’

Speaking to the EurActiv Germany website, he said yesterday that the deal between the European Council and the UK was ‘not legally binding’.

‘At the moment, the whole thing is nothing more than a deal that has been hammered out down the local bazaar,’ he said.

‘The European Union, however, is a community of law, in which there are regulated responsibilities.

‘If the British are going to put all their eggs in one basket, in a promise made like this, which has not yet complied with our clean process of law, them for me, this process of law is more important and preferable.’

Mr Lamsdorff said that the ‘emergency brake’ idea – under which in-work benefits for EU migrants could be suspended for four years in times of pressure – went ‘too far’, and could lead to the end of the single market.

For the emergency brake to come into force, the EU directive on free movement has to be modified with the consent of the European Parliament.

Asked whether this might be refuse, he said: ‘I’m sure that I will certainly not agree to a change of the directive, as it would restrict one of our basic fundamental freedoms.

obviously this bloke didn't get the memo saying keep scthum until they vote to remain.

We voted to join a common market in 1975. The EU has marched steadily forward with successive governments signing away powers without a referendum.

Comment

Nope. Have started working 6-9 months of the year, from home exclusively, take the other months off.
                  I worked 10 months last year, mostly from home, I do like the cycle to the office occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    I worked 10 months last year, mostly from home, I do like the cycle to the office occasionally.
                    Yeah but you're on a salary
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Yeah but you're on a BIG salary
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X