• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 24 Month Rule in a nutshell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I think this merits a brand new thread, PC.
    Now is this you being serious OG or are you being facetious?

I think its something that might be a different interpretation...
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Now is this you being serious OG or are you being facetious?

I think its something that might be a different interpretation...
      Facetious.

Comment

I've looked thru a lot of thread but can't find an answer for my situation which isn't too complex.

Worked on a contract stretching 30 months (several contracts) in same company/location.

Stopped claiming expenses mainly mileage and car parking when I knew I was going over the 24 monthS at about 20 months.

So not claimed for last 8 months. Start new role in same city bit maybe 5 mike's outside centre - can I start claiming mileage and car parking again?

Or does it need to apply the 14.4 month to it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by philo View Post
          I've looked thru a lot of thread but can't find an answer for my situation which isn't too complex.

Worked on a contract stretching 30 months (several contracts) in same company/location.

Stopped claiming expenses mainly mileage and car parking when I knew I was going over the 24 monthS at about 20 months.

So not claimed for last 8 months. Start new role in same city bit maybe 5 mike's outside centre - can I start claiming mileage and car parking again?

Or does it need to apply the 14.4 month to it?

Thanks
          You need to consider the 40% rule in a 2 year rolling window. Work back 2 years from now and do the math. If you have been there less than 40% of the time you can claim. That said the moment you know the 40% rule will apply to a particular place of work, the workplace will be considered permanent and you will no longer be able to claim travel and subsistence expenses. 8 months is very close to the 40% and you expect to be there for awhile so you are going to break it.

Didn't someone say 14 months or something similar before resetting the clock once?

I'd say no claiming allowed.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ah yes, 14.4 as the poster said

The 24 Month Rule and Tax Relief: A Guide | ClearSky

You’ve been at a workplace for 24 months and spent 100% of your working time there. You can reset the 24 month rule if you didn’t then commute to that location for the next 14.4 months, or nearly a year and a quarter. This would mean that you’d spent 9.6 months of the last 24 months commuting to that location. Therefore, you would be able to claim T&S from that point forward until the 40% rule was breached.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You need to consider the 40% rule in a 2 year rolling window. Work back 2 years from now and do the math. If you have been there less than 40% of the time you can claim. That said the moment you know the 40% rule will apply to a particular place of work, the workplace will be considered permanent and you will no longer be able to claim travel and subsistence expenses. 8 months is very close to the 40% and you expect to be there for awhile so you are going to break it.

Didn't someone say 14 months or something similar before resetting the clock once?

I'd say no claiming allowed.
              14.4 months assuming you were there full time is 60% so well over the limit. I think it was me who worked out it needs to be 14 months away to totally reset the clock (less if you had days from home).
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I have a question.

I have 2 limited companies A and B

I contract through A for 2 years claiming mileage then come to an end.

I then start to contract through B at the same location, can mileage be claimed ?

Does the 2 year rule apply, in esscesnce what I am asking is does the rule apply to a person or to the business paying the expense?

regards

Comment

Originally posted by console View Post
                  I have a question.

I then start to contract through B at the same location, can mileage be claimed ?

Does the 2 year rule apply, in esscesnce what I am asking is does the rule apply to a person or to the business paying the expense?

regards
                  To a person. It is all about BIKs...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by console View Post
                    I have a question.

Does the 2 year rule apply, in essence what I am asking is does the rule apply to a person or to the business paying the expense?

regards
                    In brief - No it can't and yes it does.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                      In brief - No it can't and yes it does.
                      In a nutshell

Comment

Working...
                      X