• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 24 Month Rule in a nutshell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCoconutDog View Post
    No.
    Quite correct. Remember it's all about location... type of employment doesn't matter.... it's location.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So I have a question then, hopefully you guys might have an idea as I get mixed responses when I google :

I exceeded my 24 months back in May so I've not claimed any food/travel since that time. No problems there.

BUT I was considering getting a company Van or Car. If my company supplies me with a vehicle, would it then be OK for the company to fuel it? I presume as the company is fuelling and maintaining its asset that it's OK.....? I presume then I could just "add-on" personal use for the vehicle and pay some for of BIC/TAX for that personal use... but the vehicle is still maintained and fuelled by the limited company?

Sorry if this has been covered already I did a quick search

Thanks all!

Comment

Yes you can do that. Generally it's going to cost you more since BIK on most vehicles is pretty high.

Comment

Originally posted by moosehound View Post
          So I have a question then, hopefully you guys might have an idea as I get mixed responses when I google :

I exceeded my 24 months back in May so I've not claimed any food/travel since that time. No problems there.

BUT I was considering getting a company Van or Car. If my company supplies me with a vehicle, would it then be OK for the company to fuel it? I presume as the company is fuelling and maintaining its asset that it's OK.....? I presume then I could just "add-on" personal use for the vehicle and pay some for of BIC/TAX for that personal use... but the vehicle is still maintained and fuelled by the limited company?

Sorry if this has been covered already I did a quick search

Thanks all!
          Yes you can do this but in most cases it's probably not efficient to do so, the BIK on the car normally outweighs the savings. If you are provided with fuel for private use (sounds like that's what you want to do) then the fuel BIK are massive and usually no where near efficient unless you do loads of miles a year (something like 30,000+ I think in most cases).

The general exceptions to this are very low emission/electric cars and vans. A company van may well be an efficient way to go so you should run through the numbers on this option with your accountant.

Martin
          Contratax Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
            Yes you can do this but in most cases it's probably not efficient to do so, the BIK on the car normally outweighs the savings. If you are provided with fuel for private use (sounds like that's what you want to do) then the fuel BIK are massive and usually no where near efficient unless you do loads of miles a year (something like 30,000+ I think in most cases).

The general exceptions to this are very low emission/electric cars and vans. A company van may well be an efficient way to go so you should run through the numbers on this option with your accountant.

Martin
            Contratax Ltd
            A Tesla?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              A Tesla?
              I wouldn't mind being provided with one as a company car

Comment

OK thanks for that guys.

I do about 25k a year so it'd be borderline for the car I guess.. A van was my initial thought.

I've talked with my accountant but he tells me I can buy the van but the company can't provide fuel (personal or business use) as I'm over the 2 year barrier... Which seems odd and not what I thought.... I wouldn't be claiming any expenses the van would be fuelled from my company card directly...

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by moosehound View Post
                  OK thanks for that guys.

I do about 25k a year so it'd be borderline for the car I guess.. A van was my initial thought.

I've talked with my accountant but he tells me I can buy the van but the company can't provide fuel (personal or business use) as I'm over the 2 year barrier... Which seems odd and not what I thought.... I wouldn't be claiming any expenses the van would be fuelled from my company card directly...

Thoughts?
                  Hi Moosehound

I can't confirm for definite as I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment but my view would be any commuting using the van would be classed as private as it's ordinary commuting now you have passed the 2 year rule. Therefore, if the company provides fuel, which I see no reason why it can't, you would simply be assessed on the fuel benefit associated with a company van (£594 for 2015/16). You would also be assessed on the van BIK (£3,150 for 2015/16) but this could well be an efficient way to get the company to effectively pay for your ordinary commuting.

How the fuel is paid for doesn't have much bearing on it in my opinion.

I'd need to do a little bit of research to confirm this for certain though.

Martin
                  Contratax Ltd

Comment

Depending on what happens with T&S next year a company car may well become a more attactive option.

Probably worth waiting until we know more about the intended changes before making a decision.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Another question

Hi everyone,

I had another variation on the question that I've seen asked a few times here. I have been at my current contract for 39 months. After 24 months my accountant told me I could no longer claim mileage (but interestingly still food and the occasional hotel which seems to go against what I've read here). After 27 months the company I am contracting at moved offices and my commute became 40 miles (was 20 miles). I asked my accountant at the time whether I could start claiming travelling expenses again now, and I was told no (which seems to go against what I have read here).

Should I be able to claim travelling expenses for another 24 months from point we moved?

I've just checked my contract and my last extension (given at 36 months) says "Initial Location of Assignment" and still gives the original office address (even though its been vacated for 12 months now). Does that screw it up for me? Am I better off just asking for my next extension (due December - assuming I get one) to have the new address on and start claiming expenses from then on? Or should I be able to claim 24 months forward from the point the office moved?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Comment

Working...
                      X