• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. I am considering throwing the cash in this week and then leaving it a few weeks before deciding what to do with it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      If Millipede and SNP form an alliance, stocks and £ will crash beyond belief. The borrowing will go through the roof.
      <Bookmarked>
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

But house prices will soar?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Anyone looked into Swing/Short Term/Technical/Algorithmic type trading?

I researched it a couple of years ago, but never took it any further. Essentially you (or more likely a script using software like Wealth Lab Pro) scan for any symbols (doesn't have to be a company) whos recent candlesticks/indicators could indicate the start of an up or down trend. If it looks like it could be a goer you invest say 1% of your total capital into it, but have very strict rules on when to exit (no emotion involved).

I like the idea of this as a) It appeals to my Softie side, and b) I'm not naive enough to think if I spent ages researching the fundamentals of a bunch of companies, I'd be any closer to predicting their fortunes; i.e. I think any share price already reflects the cumulative knowledge (including 'insider') the market has about that company.

Things that put me off a bit:

1) Broker commission; the nature of short term trading means you're going to be going after lots of small rises e.g. £10k total 'trading fund', 1% per trade = £100, typically a rule may be to sell if you reach a 7% gain, but a lot of places were charging that in commission per trade, thus wiping out your profits.
          2) Shorting a stock; My limited research/understanding I think this wasn't permitted in UK (i.e. making money on a falling price).
          3) If there were some 'holy grail' set of rules that could make money on any stock, then this is what all the institutions would be using in their automatic trading?

Anyone dabbled? Or even tried it on a practice account?
          Last edited by rl4engc; 31 March 2015, 15:16.
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I'm quite tempted just to stick some cash into Neil Woodford's new fund when that launches. If he can match what he's done in the past, I'll be pretty happy
            Did you? I stuck in a fair whack - I'm happy enough

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Did you? I stuck in a fair whack - I'm happy enough
              Good call. I'm still kicking myself for not doing so a couple of months after launch when it was a few % down. I think it's up around 20%, right? I generally don't believe in actively managed funds, but there's no denying he has a good record, and if you don't mind sticking your money in long-term, there's a good chance you'll do well.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Good call. I'm still kicking myself for not doing so a couple of months after launch when it was a few % down. I think it's up around 20%, right? I generally don't believe in actively managed funds, but there's no denying he has a good record, and if you don't mind sticking your money in long-term, there's a good chance you'll do well.
                Not quite - 17.9%, but can't complain about that. Neil Woodford's Fund | Invest with Hargreaves Lansdown

Comment

Now is a good time to remember that shares are a long term investment

Another 2.8% down today, which has nearly wiped out almost my entire profits in my SIPP which I had build up since my first trade in August 2012

Who wants to retire anyway?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Now is a good time to remember that shares are a long term investment

Another 2.8% down today, which has nearly wiped out almost my entire profits in my SIPP which I had build up since my first trade in August 2012

Who wants to retire anyway?
                    Buying opportunity.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Buying opportunity.
                      WMFS. An object lesson on why stocks are for the long term. You've made a paper loss after a paper gain. Unless you're just about to retire, not too much to worry about, indeed if you're investing for retirement you're probably going to be a net buyer of stocks for the foreseeable, this is a chance to pick up some quality businesses at bargain prices, if you can catch the falling knife ….

I have no idea were the market is going to go. I prefer it going down. But my preferences have nothing to do with it. The market knows nothing about my feelings. That is one of the first things you have to learn about a stock. You buy 100 shares of General Motors (GM). Now all of a sudden you have this feeling about GM. It goes down, you may be mad at it. You may say, "Well, if it just goes up for what I paid for it, my life will be wonderful again." Or if it goes up, you may say how smart you were and how you and GM have this love affair. You have got all these feelings. The stock doesn't know you own it.

The stock just sits there; it doesn't care what you paid or the fact that you own it. Any feeling I have about the market is not reciprocated. I mean it is the ultimate cold shoulder we are talking about here. Practically anybody in this room is probably more likely to be a net buyer of stocks over the next ten years than they are a net seller, so everyone of you should prefer lower prices. If you are a net eater of hamburger over the next ten years, you want hamburger to go down unless you are a cattle producer. If you are going to be a buyer of Coca-Cola and you don't own Coke stock, you hope the price of Coke goes down. You are looking for it to be on sale this weekend at your Supermarket. You want it to be down on the weekends not up on the weekends when you tend the Supermarket.
                      - Warren Buffett.
                      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                      X