• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Of course! How else would they afford their yachts, hookers and large houses?
    Exactly.
    http://www.amazon.com/Customers-mode.../dp/B00591WK5S

Comment

Anyone planning a punt on Tesco shares?
      Yep, in at 1.68, out at 1.73.

Not my usual style, but I'm semi-benched and able to keep an eye on the market. The market's initial reaction is nearly always an over-reaction.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
        Yep, in at 1.68, out at 1.73.

Cool. You made 5p a Share ( less charges ).

How many did you buy? Or was it a Spreadbet?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          Cool. You made 5p a Share ( less charges ).

How many did you buy? Or was it a Spreadbet?
          I sold about £10K worth Aviva to punt on Tesco. That made me just over £200 after commission and stamp duty and I sank the enhanced pot into Next, which is a long-term dividend play.

So, small beer from one point of view, free money from another. 2% in a couple hours, when deposit accounts pay that in a year. Like I say, not my usual style, this is my SIPP and I'm usually a LTBH HYP guy, but these big swings on good/bad news are nearly always overdone by the market....

Comment

I sold about £10K worth Aviva to punt on Tesco. That made me just over £200 after commission and stamp duty and I sank the enhanced pot into Next, which is a long-term dividend play.

So, small beer from one point of view, free money from another. 2% in a couple hours, when deposit accounts pay that in a year. Like I say, not my usual style, this is my SIPP and I'm usually a LTBH HYP guy, but these big swings on good/bad news are nearly always overdone by the market....
            If you are going for a HYP why do you have Next?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              If you are going for a HYP why do you have Next?
              It is a gamble that they will repeat the Special Dividend (3x50p a share) they paid out this year, or something similar next year. The company is a huge cash-generating machine, I think undervalued, so I'm 'gambling' on a share price rise or more divis or both.

Comment

I Like I say, not my usual style, this is my SIPP and I'm usually a LTBH HYP guy, but these big swings on good/bad news are nearly always overdone by the market....
                I've done it myself. I look out for large companies that hit a bad patch. Made some good money on bp and Barclays. Not so fortunate with Northern Rock!

Didn't go for Tesco though. I think they still have plenty more gloom to come. Will keep an eye on them over the next 6 months.

However the vast ( 95% ) of my "serious" money is in trackers across various markets.

Comment

Market seems to like TSCO's trading statement (up 13%), refocusing on its core and getting rid of waste (staff, stores and services like Blinkbox and Braodband) talk about disposing of dunhummby which is their Data Analytics arm which launched the ClubCard so many years ago

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Market seems to like TSCO's trading statement (up 13%), refocusing on its core and getting rid of waste (staff, stores and services like Blinkbox and Braodband) talk about disposing of dunhummby which is their Data Analytics arm which launched the ClubCard so many years ago
                    Someone has made money on Tesco shares, I'm happy that I've recouped the losses so here's hoping the market keeps believing in the new regime

Comment

The QE announced yesterday seems to have pushed share prices up and FTSE is now back ver 6800, do people think the bounce is just temp or that over the next few weeks /months share prices would keep rising or the share prices already factored it in ? Not sure whether to ditch now or hold on a bit longer ?
                      I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Working...
                      X