• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reckless View Post
    I have heard today that my MP is happy to sign a cross-party letter to the Chancellor, demanding the removal of the retrospective element of section 58. It is heartening that some MPs are principled in their representation of their constituents. I know who I'll be voting for next time.

Here's hoping there are a good many other like-minded MPs out there too.
    That's great news Reckless she is my MP too!!

Comment

Finally got round to setting up the regular standing order. Sorry for the delay.

Also dropped my MP an email asking for a meeting to be setup. If I don't hear from him soon I'll get on the phone.

Good work everyone.

Comment

Wikipedia

I see that someone has added a link to NTRT website to the External Links section of the Wikipedia entry for BN66.

Nice one
        Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

Interestingly, a Google search for "retrospective tax" returns the NTRT website as the first entry.

Google search screenshot

Is this tailored just for my search results, or is everyone getting this?
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            Interestingly, a Google search for "retrospective tax" returns the NTRT website as the first entry.

Google search screenshot

Is this tailored just for my search results, or is everyone getting this?
            Same here. Also a search for retro tax brings up NTRT (and contractoruk).

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
              Same here. Also a search for retro tax brings up NTRT (and contractoruk).
              Nice!

Maybe its time to expose some Gauke/HMRC lies on our front page
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Am I too late?

I have heard today that my MP is happy to sign a cross-party letter to the Chancellor, demanding the removal of the retrospective element of section 58. It is heartening that some MPs are principled in their representation of their constituents. I know who I'll be voting for next time.

Here's hoping there are a good many other like-minded MPs out there too.
                How do I ask my MP (Teresa Villiers) to sign the same letter? I have already met with her and received replies to my letters, so no real point meeting her again. She seemed supportive (but only up to a point...) What instructions should I to send to her? Is there a co-ordinator she should contact? Or am I too late? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MishiMoo View Post
                  How do I ask my MP (Teresa Villiers) to sign the same letter? I have already met with her and received replies to my letters, so no real point meeting her again. She seemed supportive (but only up to a point...) What instructions should I to send to her? Is there a co-ordinator she should contact? Or am I too late? Thanks!
                  I suggest that you e-mail Carl Thomson at Whitehouse Consulting, who will advise you on the best tactics (as he did for me).

Comment

I suggest that you e-mail Carl Thomson at Whitehouse Consulting, who will advise you on the best tactics (as he did for me).
                    Done. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

MP Visit.

I went to see my MP on Friday evening (hooray!).

I have to say, I've never experienced dry mouth syndrome quite like it. Nerves I guess. I advise anyone with an upcoming appointment to take water!

While I didn't manage to get across all the points that I wanted/intended to, I did ignite a notable spark of interest and he is going to read up, follow up and write back to me on the matter.

So overall I am pleased with the outcome even if I didn't get a definite pledge of support. Given his sudden interest it makes me wonder if it was him that actually read the letters I have been sending over the past year.

It just goes to show that face-to-face really does make a difference!

I also discovered that I was the only one of his constituents that had approached him about S.58 and also that he wasn't aware of the NTRT campaign.

Detailed update on its way to Whitehouse.

Comment

Working...
                      X