• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockTheBoat View Post
    Hi all

been travelling for the last while and out of contract for the same obviously.

Have finally joined up on the NTRT site, so first I would like to apologise to all those who have been working hard behind the scenes here for me taking so long to sign up and contribute.

And secondly, huge thanks to all those same who have set this up

First contribution made, and more when i get funds coming in

cheers
    RockTheBoat

PS: havent seen my password come through yet from the site, so can someone have a look see and send it thru thanks
    I've reset your password and sent you an email, RockTheBoat.

Thanks for your donation and support. Welcome aboard!
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I think I know the answer to this but would we get any early indication of any changes in the budget speech that may affect our situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Splash View Post
        We won't get tarred with the same brush if it goes south for him will we?... Is this another HMRC sneaking in the backdoor tactic?
        Hope he's receiving the same level of support as we have thus far.
        As a said, there is more in the newsletter about this. We have provided information to his Counsel. It is an individual case with individual circumstances and whilst it may "colour" the FTT it is certainly not binding on us. Any one of us would still be able to take our own cases.

Further, whatever the outcome, there is the prospect of Appeals to the second tier and then potentially through the Courts.
        Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
        "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          I think I know the answer to this but would we get any early indication of any changes in the budget speech that may affect our situation?
          Regardless of anything that we achieve, there will be nothing in the Budget speech itself. As always with these things the devil will be in the detail. We are of course pushing hard to see if we can get an angel put in the detail this time but as you know Gauke is not playing ball and prefers fire and brinstone to harps on clouds.
          "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
            As a said, there is more in the newsletter about this. We have provided information to his Counsel. It is an individual case with individual circumstances and whilst it may "colour" the FTT it is certainly not binding on us. Any one of us would still be able to take our own cases.

Further, whatever the outcome, there is the prospect of Appeals to the second tier and then potentially through the Courts.
            Are FTTs open to the public ? I presume not because your personal tax affairs are private but if thats the case how do the outcome of cases get documented and case law set ?

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
              Are FTTs open to the public ? I presume not because your personal tax affairs are private but if thats the case how do the outcome of cases get documented and case law set ?
              I don't know the answer to your question. I like your logic though. There are two different things here. The FTT is a tax tribunal and does not set precedent. Once the appeal process within the tax tribunal system has been exhausted cases can move to the High Court and beyond where precedent is set and yes where your confidential business is discussed in public. I assume that decisions at the FTT are made available, but in reality these cases do not discuss too much detail about all your income, typically only the relevant reliefs claimed, and of course, many years after the event.

I'm sure the Donkey will be along shortly with a better answer!

Comment

NTRT funds

Might have just setup my most worthwhile standing order. thanks NTRT team, £100 a month seems a very reasonable donation.
                Last edited by Buzby; 14 February 2013, 16:31. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
                  Might have just setup my most worth while standard order. thanks NTRT team, £100 a month seems a very reasonable donation.
                  Me too, £100 locked and loaded from 1st March

Comment

I'll also be stumping up for NTRT.

Reading about the new EBT crackdown rings it home that thankfully we have Montpelier, DR and NTRT fighting for us. Some of the folks on there must be feeling the same as we did when BN66 appeared. Nightmare.

Comment

Thank you!!!!

Standing Order set up. Huge thank you to everyone involved with NTRT for giving us hope.

Comment

Working...
                      X