• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even law firm's partners are impacted by all this...

Hogan Lovells latest to issue HMRC cash call | News | The Lawyer

Comment

International business advisories are now suggesting UK is closed for entrepreneurs

And to add to all that, the first international business advisories as well as some international entrepreneur discussion groups have suggested that, with this new regulation coming in, the UK is closed for business and people would be better placed in other jurisdictions when establishing their businesses:

International Adviser: Warn clients in tax disputes to get ready to pay by autumn, advisers told

Dotas and tax avoidance schemes

Well done, George Osbourne & David Gauke, these are exactly the amateurish messages you do NOT want to send out if you are after improving the UK economy.

Comment

I'm out of here...

Which makes me think whether or not it's time to pack my bags, too, and turn my back on the UK to find a warmer and friendlier climate and a government that really, truly appreciates the work I do.

Either way, I've come off my DOTAS scheme now which feels like getting rid of an unwanted tattoo.

Whichever way you look at it, DOTAS are dead and tax avoidance is likely going to move off the previous "DOTAS radar" and will become much more invisible - another big own goal by Gauke and Osbourne.

(I've put a few more comments here originally, but then deleted them thinking that I don't want to give the establishment and HMRC too many ideas of what they - or we - may be doing next.)

Comment

Originally posted by DeadDOTAS View Post
          Which makes me think whether or not it's time to pack my bags, too, and turn my back on the UK to find a warmer and friendlier climate and a government that really, truly appreciates the work I do.

Either way, I've come off my DOTAS scheme now which feels like getting rid of an unwanted tattoo.

Whichever way you look at it, DOTAS are dead and tax avoidance is likely going to move off the previous "DOTAS radar" and will become much more invisible - another big own goal by Gauke and Osbourne.

(I've put a few more comments here originally, but then deleted them thinking that I don't want to give the establishment and HMRC too many ideas of what they - or we - may be doing next.)
          Agree, who in their right mind would request a DOTAS number now? Thats just giving HMRC a stick to beat you with, it will go under ground now no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
            Agree, who in their right mind would request a DOTAS number now? Thats just giving HMRC a stick to beat you with, it will go under ground now no doubt.
            It will. But that means automatic penalties when they find out which the scheme creators definitely not be telling their customers.

The real problem here is the scumbags who moved tax avoidance from a toy for the rich and started aggressively marketing those schemes to panicking members of the general public while spreading the panic over IR35... Personally I would have added something making the creators of such schemes personally liable for all tax due as that would be the only way to kill them...

Its one thing to say yes, this scheme is safe, its another to say yes this scheme is safe and I'm betting everything I own on it being so.....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              It will. But that means automatic penalties when they find out which the scheme creators definitely not be telling their customers.

The real problem here is the scumbags who moved tax avoidance from a toy for the rich and started aggressively marketing those schemes to panicking members of the general public while spreading the panic over IR35... Personally I would have added something making the creators of such schemes personally liable for all tax due as that would be the only way to kill them...

Its one thing to say yes, this scheme is safe, its another to say yes this scheme is safe and I'm betting everything I own on it being so.....
              I guess people will just hedge they may never get found out, or as you say some dodgy scheme providers will not disclose the full potential impact should it get onto HMRC radar.

I do think there should be an element of financial responsibility for the scheme providers where it fails, otherwise whats to stop anyone setting up a dodgy scheme, taking a nice management fee and then vanishing the minute HMRC come knocking? Its the kind of thing that wouldnt be out of place on an edition of Watchdog rogue traders.
              Last edited by smalldog; 7 April 2014, 09:31.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                whats to stop anyone setting up a dodgy scheme, taking a nice management fee and then vanishing the minute HMRC come knocking?
                Seems to be to modus operandi...

I know of 2 schemes that have decided that as of 6th April they are no longer required to be DOTAS registered...

Comment

What's good for the goose is good for the gander

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Whilst this govt. are busy trying to bankrupt and penalise us for doing something totally legal, Maria Miller gets off with a not very humble apology for "making a mistake" and paying back just 10% of what she owes.

Please sign this petition if you think Maria Miller should face criminal charges.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...edings?bucket=

Thanks

Santa
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                    What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Whilst this govt. are busy trying to bankrupt and penalise us for doing something totally legal, Maria Miller gets off with a not very humble apology for "making a mistake" and paying back just 10% of what she owes.

Please sign this petition if you think Maria Miller should face criminal charges.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...edings?bucket=

Thanks

Santa
                    15,214 signatures already! Says it all really!!
                    Last edited by Fireship; 8 April 2014, 07:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
                      15,214 signatures already! Says it all really!!
                      Try this petition instead

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...ion_invitation
                      Last edited by SantaClaus; 8 April 2014, 07:55.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X