• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Law Society warning on Finance Bill 2014

Judge and jury tax powers for HMRC and no right to appeal - The Law Society

"...we are concerned that the government's proposals to give HMRC more powers come at the expense of individuals' rights to appeal."

Worth reading the link.

Comment

More noise around extending HMRC's powers to raiding bank accounts

Looks like the Treasury Select Committee may be looking into this further (might be worth sending an email/letter to Andrew Tyrie...)

George Osborne Defends HMRC Power To Take Money Direct From Bank Accounts

Comment

Maria Miller finally resigns

Maria Miller Resigns As Culture Secretary

Maybe also due to increased public pressures and several petitions also with representation from this forum.

Comment

That's step 1. I want her to pay back every penny, plus fines and punitive interest within the next 30 days.

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
            That's step 1. I want her to pay back every penny, plus fines and punitive interest within the next 30 days.

you don't seem to understand that you have jumped on the partial, inaccurate information newspapers have used rather than the complete actual facts.

Which is deeply ironic considering that the financial pain you are in regarding section 58 or DOTAS is due to similar people using identical tactics to force you to pay up.....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

She claimed more than she should / was allowed. Why is a view she should repay that in full jumping on any bandwagon?
              You seem to have jumped to the inaccurate conclusion, based on partial evidence, that I give a sh1t what the newspapers write.
              I'm not suggesting changing the rules retrospectively to make doing what was previously legal, illegal.

Comment

IR35 put me in this mess

Don't get your hopes up about the Lords' attack on HMRC :: Contractor UK

Is NTRT planning a template letter to forward to our MPs?

I for one think it's a good time to highlight why so many of us are in this horrible position. I wouldn't have looked at any other methods of operating if it wasn't for IR35 being so badly written.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  you don't seem to understand that you have jumped on the partial, inaccurate information newspapers have used rather than the complete actual facts.

Which is deeply ironic considering that the financial pain you are in regarding section 58 or DOTAS is due to similar people using identical tactics to force you to pay up.....
                  The main issues are:
                  • Kathryn Hudson (Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards) recommended that Miller pay back £45,000.
                  • The Tory dominated MPs of the Standards Committee overruled her and ordered her to pay just £5,800 (12.8%)
                  • She was also required to make an apology for her obstructive behavior which lasted about 30 seconds
                  • Her assistant and Craig Oliver made (not very) veiled threats to the Telegraph

The repayment of £45000 would have killed her career, wanting to avoid a scandal the MPs ignored the independent view and drastically cut it.

Anyway, it looks as though the matter is being referred to the police - who may choose to investigate her for fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                    The main issues are:
                    • Kathryn Hudson (Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards) recommended that Miller pay back £45,000.
                    • The Tory dominated MPs of the Standards Committee overruled her and ordered her to pay just £5,800 (12.8%)
                    • She was also required to make an apology for her obstructive behavior which lasted about 30 seconds
                    • Her assistant and Craig Oliver made (not very) veiled threats to the Telegraph

The repayment of £45000 would have killed her career, wanting to avoid a scandal the MPs ignored the independent view and drastically cut it.

Anyway, it looks as though the matter is being referred to the police - who may choose to investigate her for fraud.

Supposedly the changed lower figure was accepted and agreed to by Kathryn Hudson (Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards) based on the evidence shown by the Standards Committee.

And so I repeat myself...

This is the joy of half baked information in our 24 hour news world. People see half the information (as the rest is explicitly hidden or misrepresented) and make value based judgments on the information they see. These judgments remain the same even when people show them that they still don't have all the facts.

And its the lack of understanding in how stories migrate from all the whole facts, to just those that are most useful in attacking the subject of the story which is your biggest issue. As its the hiding of awkward facts that has resulted in the mess everyone currently suffering under Section 58 and EBT follower demands is still enduring.

The irony is that in your joy at someone else's misfortune you missed the fact that the same "hide the awkward information" agenda used here is exactly what HMRC and successive Governments have and are using against you. Yet you wonder why so many people around here feel that you are getting what you deserved.

And that is all I have to saw on the matter as Miss Miller's misfortune has nothing to do with this thread. It should however show you why your current fight is sadly (and I mean that truthfully) on a hiding to nothing....
                    Last edited by eek; 9 April 2014, 13:14.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      Supposedly the changed lower figure was accepted and agreed to by Kathryn Hudson (Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards) based on the evidence shown by the Standards Committee.

And so I repeat myself...

This is the joy of half baked information in our 24 hour news world. People see half the information (as the rest is explicitly hidden or misrepresented) and make value based judgments on the pieces they see. These judgements then remain the same even when people show them that they still don't have all the facts.

And its the lack of understanding in how stories migrate from all the whole facts, to just those that are most useful in attacking the subject of the story which has resulted in the mess everyone currently suffering under Section 58 and EBT follower demands was and has been subjected to.

The irony is that in your joy at someone else's misfortune you have missed the fact that the same "hide the awkward information" agenda used here is exactly what HMRC and successive Governments have and are using against you. Yet you wonder why so many people around here feel that you are getting what you deserved.

And that is all I have to saw on the matter as Mrs Miller's misfortune has nothing to do with this thread. It should however show you why your current fight is sadly (and I mean that truthfully) on a hiding to nothing....
                      I think it's less a joy in someone else's misfortune than an attempt to highlight the inequalities between the ruling elite and us plebs.

Do something wrong as an MP and it is a "mistake". Do something wrong as a common citizen and you will be penalised or jailed.

And because of that, I think Ms Miller's "mistake" is very topical to this thread.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X