• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
    ... and your picture depicts you as a sensible girly
    Well you know what they say Moira - the camera never lies
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Well you know what they say Moira - the camera never lies
      Just the odd Treasury Secretary, well in fact most since 2007.
      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Email sent

Sent my email to the Treasury Select committee. Will also be writing directly to David Cameron, as he is my MP, who previously fobbed me off with 'its with the courts' and suchlike. I'll request a local surgery meeting as well, but as you can imagine I have to join a pretty long queue.

Comment

Letter in Post

Just fired off letter to Dr Therese Coffey, local MP.
          OIG

Comment

Mailed them all... local MP, Gauke, Treasury committee....here's a taster:

"I urge you to take this up with the government of today to put a stop to this unfair and oppressive legislation. If the law is to stand unchanged then existing claims should have been given indemnity against a retrospective tax bill arising prior to the date legislation was announced (12th March 2008). Alternatively the law needs to be reviewed and amended to give tax payers certainty over their affairs and delete or revert the impact of the retrospective clause.

A long drawn out legal process has since been running which still has to be heard in the European Court of Human Rights and UK tax tribunals. In the meantime some 3000+ people are facing severe stress, hardship, marriage breakdowns, bankruptcy, etc. and are desperate for the government to listen to our claim and put an end to the ill thought out consequences of rushed and poor legislation. The legal process continues but it should not be required in the first place.

I look forward to your response and hope you will support a change to the way taxpayers who had existing claims going back many years are currently being treated. "

Comment

Writing to MPs

Don't agonize over what to write. The detail isn't important any more. It's the effect on individuals/families that needs to be got across.

Something like this would do:

I am one of 3000 people affected by the retrospective tax Section 58 Finance Act 2008.

For the past 3 years the legislation has been subject to judicial review in the courts on Human Rights grounds but this has now come to an end unsuccessfully. It seems the courts have bowed to the discretion of Parliament in this matter, which is why I now come to you as my member of Parliament.

HMRC are demanding £xxxxxx in retrospective tax from me going back N years. To add insult to injury they are also demanding I pay £yyyyy in retrospective interest.

Quite simply I do not have assets to cover anywhere near this amount.

I do not know what it is going to happen to me at the hands of HMRC but my wife and I are terrified at the prospect of losing everything. I have been told HMRC are likely to bankrupt me.

As already stated I am not alone. There are 3000 of us sitting waiting for the axe to fall.

I would like you to ask the Government if they are happy to stand by and let HMRC use a retrospective tax to destroy people's lives?

Comment

Letter Away

Letter sent to my MP and the Treasury Committee.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Im going to send this to my MP.

You may remember I wrote a number of letters to you regarding BN66 and Section 58 of the Finance Act, 2008.

I look forward to you reply.
                  Great letter just do a spell check first makes us look more "edumacated"
                  ;-)
                  The Cat

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Don't agonize over what to write. The detail isn't important any more. It's the effect on individuals/families that needs to be got across.

[/I]
                    Its not enough, you also need to clearly tell them what you want. Dont just leave it open ended for them to decide..... you want the law changed, reverted, repealled or whatever it is that your thinking.
                    You want an indemnity for existing claims made prior to the announcement of BN66 in the same way that the original Padmore claimants were given indemnity back in 87.

To my knowledge it is a first in the UK that retrospective tax law was used not just to stop retrospective claims but to GENERATE additional tax revenues !

If that statement is wrong sobeit but I've never heard of retrospection over such a long period. Tell them this is breaking the camels back, the hardship your facing and you want it addressed.
                    This isn't the 3 months retrospection Barclays faced, its 7+ years. It has nothing to do with cases going through the courts, they need to address the ill thought out consequences of whats happened.

Write, write, write. make them aware !

Comment

Originally posted by Disgusted of Coventry View Post
                      What happened to this guy between 2008 and 2010? It's like something out of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".
                      absolute power corrupts absolutely
                      The Cat

Comment

Working...
                      X