• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping maybe just a little better tonight now.

Just spoken to an IP (Insolvency Practitioner) regarding an IVA (Individual Voluntary Arrangement) and it looks like in my case bankruptcy may now not be an option. Thank god.
    So basically the job of the IP is prove to the creditors that they will get more money going down the IVA route than the bankruptcy route.
    In my case, I have no liquid funds or assets and only 80K equity in my house (which my wife jointly owns); so 40K is my share of this, of which HMRC may get if they went down the bankrupting me route.
    So if I can afford to pay into the IVA £1000.00 per month, over 5 years totaling £48k (Yes I know its close). HMRC say I owe 110K, minus the 48K and the remaining 62k gets written off after 5 years. Happy days☺
    There is lots too do on this still and more work to be done (plus everybody’s circumstances are different), but it’s better than going down the bankruptcy route. I keep my house; I keep the 80K equity in my house. Just one clause that is annoying is that HMRC will insist that in 4 year of the IVA a revaluation is carried on the house. This will complicate things if house prices increase, and an additional year may be put onto the IVA (moving it to 6 years). I am looking into this point in further detail.
    My IP says in his experiences of dealing with HMRC typically they do agree to the above…..

Comment

Did anyone contact that ex HMRC fella? Was a bit earlier in the thread
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Corrian View Post
        Letter sent to my MP and the Treasury Committee.
        Letters sent to both my MPs
        The Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Goinroamin View Post
          I actually think it may come to that....... I'll get my kids to make a placard this weekend. I'll tell them if they make a good one we may not need to sell the house.
          Nice one.

My 3 year old is very good at drawing monsters, so caricatures of the main HMRC stooges shouldn't be a problem
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by bombaycat View Post
            absolute power corrupts absolutely
            You're probably right.

I still wouldn't rule out giant extra-terrestrial seed pods, though.

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
              Did anyone contact that ex HMRC fella? Was a bit earlier in the thread
              Yes, funnily enough I did today!

Comment

done

Originally posted by bombaycat View Post
                Letters sent to both my MPs
                mine sent

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
                  Just spoken to an IP (Insolvency Practitioner) regarding an IVA (Individual Voluntary Arrangement) and it looks like in my case bankruptcy may now not be an option. Thank god.
                  So basically the job of the IP is prove to the creditors that they will get more money going down the IVA route than the bankruptcy route.
                  In my case, I have no liquid funds or assets and only 80K equity in my house (which my wife jointly owns); so 40K is my share of this, of which HMRC may get if they went down the bankrupting me route.
                  So if I can afford to pay into the IVA £1000.00 per month, over 5 years totaling £48k (Yes I know its close). HMRC say I owe 110K, minus the 48K and the remaining 62k gets written off after 5 years. Happy days☺
                  There is lots too do on this still and more work to be done (plus everybody’s circumstances are different), but it’s better than going down the bankruptcy route. I keep my house; I keep the 80K equity in my house. Just one clause that is annoying is that HMRC will insist that in 4 year of the IVA a revaluation is carried on the house. This will complicate things if house prices increase, and an additional year may be put onto the IVA (moving it to 6 years). I am looking into this point in further detail.
                  My IP says in his experiences of dealing with HMRC typically they do agree to the above…..
                  From what I've read, HMRC are becoming increasingly awkward when it comes to IVAs.

Tax debt and bankruptcy « TaxAid

"However, it can be difficult to obtain HMRC’s agreement to an IVA. In practice about half the proposals submitted are likely to be rejected by HMRC."

This is why we need to keep up the pressure through political channels to try and get HMRC to act reasonably.

Bankruptcy should be a last resort.

Comment

Already written to my MP. Now done the same to the Treasury Committee...

Why MontP are not saying anything? Should be not be told of what is likely course of events from now on (and how we would become bankrupt and/or tribunal procedures etc) as I am in complete dark apart from some light rays coming out from this forum!!!

Comment

Letter sent to Zac Goldsmith and Treasury Committee.

Comment

Working...
                      X