• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Court of Appeal and beyond

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    "Contractors seem likely to be disappointed too, because the committee’s focus will be on the moves from the authorities to retrospectively tax “institutions,” The Daily Telegraph reported, rather than individuals or companies."

I think we need to change their focus.

Maybe when this meeting happens, a noisy crowd of us should stand outside of parliament waving placards.

Just a thought...

Yep myself, wife and kids would be there!

Comment

Originally posted by VictorValiant View Post
      [..............is the status of the Steed/KPMG case: they have taken their proceedings direct to ECHR and bypassed the UK legal system. So, does that mean that HMRC have held off issuing final demands to their Clients or what? It would be interesting to know how the people affected here are being treated and if any "understandings" have been reached.
      HMRC have held off all 3000 users because of the action Montp and PwC have taken. I doubt they are even formally aware of Steed's ECHR application.

The situation has changed now. Promoters can no longer sit on the sidelines while others take the lead.

Once those 3000 demands start arriving every promoter will have to appeal on behalf of their clients. If they don't, and the clients don't pay up within 30 days, then they will face penalties and distraint etc.

By the way, I suspect there may be promoters out there that we don't even know about.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        However I am coming to the conclusion that panic is the best way forward...
        Right. Thats enough panic.

Maybe when this meeting happens, a crowd of us should stand outside of parliament waving placards.

Just a thought...
        And a brilliant one too!
        But we need a decent snappy slogan to chant.

"What do we want?"
        "parliament to reconsider bn66 of the 2008 finance act and introducing retrospective legislation"
        "When do we want it?"
        "When the treasury select committe gets round to it"

Not very soundbitish is it?
        Last edited by BrilloPad; 8 March 2012, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Right. Thats enough panic. I get very violent thoughts when I panic - we don't want anyone getting hurt.

And a brilliant one too!
          But we need a decent snappy slogan to chant.

"What do we want?"
          "parliament to reconsider bn66 of the 2008 finance act and introducing retrospective legislation"
          "When do we want it?"
          "When the treasury select committe gets round to it"

Not very soundbitish is it?
          Simply "No to Retro".....

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
            Simply "No to Retro".....
            What flock wallpaper
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

It may come to that.

"Contractors seem likely to be disappointed too, because the committee’s focus will be on the moves from the authorities to retrospectively tax “institutions,” The Daily Telegraph reported, rather than individuals or companies."

Maybe when this meeting happens, a noisy crowd of us should stand outside of parliament waving placards.

Just a thought...
              I actually think it may come to that....... I'll get my kids to make a placard this weekend. I'll tell them if they make a good one we may not need to sell the house.

Comment

Last edited by BrilloPad; 8 March 2012, 13:45. Reason: ...

Comment

Just a thought...

Or inside. I'm certain the placards won't be allowed, but a presence may be helpful

Treasury Committee: Meetings - UK Parliament

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                    Or inside. I'm certain the placards won't be allowed, but a presence may be helpful
                    The security will be exteremely tight.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      What flock wallpaper
                      ... and your picture depicts you as a sensible girly
                      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Working...
                      X