• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rally to abolish IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    You can.

What happens if you get a client who wants you to do desktop support on a shift basis 100% of the time for the next 2 years?

Because that what a lot of contractors do...
    And that proves what? That the contractor is happy to swap a consistent income stream for some illusion of freedom? Does it matter how he provides that service to the guy with the cheque book? What is he doing that disadvantages anyone at all - he is presumably getting a decent screw for his work, his client has no need to provide a raft of extra services and benefits. The only person losing out is the taxman, but only if you assume that x hours effort by a worker under any circumstances has to equate to £y income to the Exchequer. And that is not a supportable proposition.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      What happens if you get a client who wants you to do desktop support on a shift basis 100% of the time for the next 2 years
      Capita does a lot of that without being worried about IR35.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        First though....

Persuade me that "something" needs to be done in the first place. I run a legitimate UK Limited company, providing a service to a range of clients. Why can't I simply be allowed to get on with it?
        My position entirely. I have learned to live with IR35 and I wish that nobody had kicked up such a big fuss over it to be honest. IR35 compliant businesses are going to be worse off under son of IR35, I'm sure.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          My position entirely. I have learned to live with IR35 and I wish that nobody had kicked up such a big fuss over it to be honest. IR35 compliant businesses are going to be worse off under son of IR35, I'm sure.
          That's my worry for sure. There's no doubt that IR35 was fundamentally flawed and had anyone in power possessed a brain cell, would never have been brought in. BUT, the fact is that there is an inequality and arguably unfair benefit for those running a limited company, whether or not they be contractors. At the moment, the low salary:high dividend route makes ANY business trading through a limited company a lot better off than a business operated as a sole trader or partnership, mostly because of the avoidance of NICs. On top of that is the possibility to divert income to spouses to use their personal allowance and BR band which is again a lot easier to do for a limited company than for a sole trader or partnership. The new government are committed to "replacing" IR35 with something fairer and more easily understood - that doesn't mean getting rid of it. At the very least, the "tax" (including NICs etc) should be made more comparable between limited companies and sole traders/partnerships which means some form of tax increase for all limited companies operating the low salary:high dividend strategy. I think its certainly going to apply to all limited companies, to make it fair, so it's not going to be as bad as IR35 but somehow they're going to find a way to get another, say, 10% out of those taking low salaries. There are many possibilities - bringing back ACT (and at a higher rate) on dividends, investment income surcharge, bring back close company apportionment, or even the nuclear option of finding a way to charge NIC on company profits rather than salary for director/shareholders. I don't see the son of IR35 to be simply a watered down version still purporting to only affect the same groups of people originally targetted by IR35.

Comment

I will live with that argument when

a) you can define a break point at which a company owner can move from being penalised for taking entirely legal dividends as a reward for his efforts,

b) you can define exactly why I should not operate a UK limited company that supplies my services to a range of clients and allows me to work seven months a year - my average working days over the last 15 years - without having to sell the house every three months

c) you can define why Philp Green can legally take a £1.2bn dividend out of a company that just posted a £700m net profit, and pay no tax on it at all.

It's about time we stopped assuming that a Ltd Co with one worker is some kind of tax dodge. It isn't.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It's about time we stopped assuming that a Ltd Co with one worker is some kind of tax dodge. It isn't.
              Am in agreement with these points and not wishing to fight but with my devils advocate hat on I would say in a decent number of cases it is. As much as we don't like all this there is does have to be said there is a large area where people are not seeing themselves or understand how to work as a business and don't understand any further than trying to fudge a contract to 'look' out of IR35 and thats it. It doesn't do those that are many favours and incurs this type of attention.

Maybe it is just an opinion but in these cases hiding behind a LTD and IR35 fudged contract IS a tax dodge.

I totally agree it is wrong to assume and then penalise of that false assumption though.

Have I just stated something we all understand and was a waste of time to bring up again ?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ask yourself this: If you could engage in the exact same tax avoidance strategies working through a brolly or a LTD, which one would you choose?

What are the advantages of running a LTD other than tax avoidance?
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                  Ask yourself this: If you could engage in the exact same tax avoidance strategies working through a brolly or a LTD, which one would you choose?

What are the advantages of running a LTD other than tax avoidance?
                  Assuming that's a serious question...

I work for myself, I set my own rules and conditions, I am in total control of my income and expenses, I can plan what to do with my money free of any other organsiation's rules and I have a degree of protection against liability claims. I get more flexible pension planning and I can't be sacked or embuggered by someone changing the rules behind me. And I don't need anyone's permission to do things.

I freelance because I don't want a boss nor to be an FTE. It's nothing to do with money or net income, and I could almost certainly get more as a permie at my level.

And anyway, I'm not indulging in any tax avoidance strategies. I pay all taxes due on my gross income in full accordance with the law. What, exactly, do you think I'm avoiding?

HTH
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I am my own boss.

My company decides it's direction and strategy. With strategy in place it works out how to achieve that strategy (enter new markets, training, capital expenditure etc).

It might sound daft to you, but it's a mindset and a way of life to me.

I look anyone and everyone in the eye when I hand out my Ltd company business card.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

As with Malvolio and Cojak, plus you are in theory at least able to grow the business and make some profit (though it's darn tricky if an agency is in on the deal).

Comment

Working...
                      X