• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rally to abolish IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Why should you be "in pocket"?

Your rate is supposed to compensate you for lack of permie benefits, so why shouldn't you pay the same amount of tax as a permie doing the same role?

I think we'll see and Aussie style 80/20 rule that will catch most of us. Until somebody works out how to get around it...
    I agree. Maybe I didn't word that right. The people being out of pocket are the people trying to convice themselves they are outside IR35 means they don't pay the same tax etc so they will be out of pocket when they are taxed normally.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I think we'll see and Aussie style 80/20 rule that will catch most of us.
      I think that is extremely likely, dead cert in fact. Given that we'd effectively all be IR35 caught it could bring the end of contracting as we know it virtually to an end. I presume that this is what has happened in Oz?
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Why should you be "in pocket"?

Because I get nothing from paying taxes, because I dont want or use any of the services they provide. As we have seen from the budget, the vast majority is spent on dosses on the dole. Not with my money.

I do agree that the pcg will have done us all a great disservice if IR35 gets replaced with something clear and simple that makes it impossible to avoid having 50% of our money stolen from us.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
          Because I get nothing from paying taxes, because I dont want or use any of the services they provide. As we have seen from the budget, the vast majority is spent on dosses on the dole. Not with my money.

I do agree that the pcg will have done us all a great disservice if IR35 gets replaced with something clear and simple that makes it impossible to avoid having 50% of our money stolen from us.
          Have some links to ponder...

Is this the end for IR35? | PCG

So what about Son of IR35? | Contractor Accountants

And consider that without PCG's efforts this wouldn't even be on the agenda...

HTH
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
            Because I get nothing from paying taxes, because I dont want or use any of the services they provide.
            I guess you don't live in the UK, then - so why care what the government here is doing?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              One thing I find a bit odd is we have IR35 for a reason. It is badly done granted but it is there to stop people in hidden permie positions not paying the right amount of tax. Lets be fair and say 90% of us could be argued in this hidden permie situation. I mean, there are more than enough threads on here about people trying to make their contract IR35 friendly when infact the working conditions say otherwise.

If the push to get rid of IR35 is not careful are we not in more danger of getting something a lot simpler that we cannot fudge via contract etc leaving a large majority of us out of pocket? Is that what we are really after?
              Speak for yourself you bum on seat tax dodging permatemp.

If you feel so strongly about it, donate the tax you save to charity.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Speak for yourself you bum on seat tax dodging permatemp.

If you feel so strongly about it, donate the tax you save to charity.
                why should I? my contract says i am outside IR35
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  If the push to get rid of IR35 is not careful are we not in more danger of getting something a lot simpler that we cannot fudge via contract etc leaving a large majority of us out of pocket? Is that what we are really after?
                  That's my fear. Surely they won't replace IR35 with something that means people outside IR35 would pay LESS tax? Perhaps those inside IR35 would pay less but those outside would pay more. I wish the PCG had just kept their mouths shut about IR35, the noobies could be caught by it and the rest of us could keep on dodging it.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                    That's my fear. Surely they won't replace IR35 with something that means people outside IR35 would pay LESS tax? Perhaps those inside IR35 would pay less but those outside would pay more. I wish the PCG had just kept their mouths shut about IR35, the noobies could be caught by it and the rest of us could keep on dodging it.
                    Yep, can't argue with that really.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I can, but I really can't see the point in trying. In the face of ignorance, the Gods themselves strive in vain...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X