• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SIC code for travel blog ownership and making money of adverts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIC code for travel blog ownership and making money of adverts

hi,

what will be the best sic code for company activity of maintaining a travel blog? Making money from adverts on it.

There's a list of SIC codes here:
    Nature of business: Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes (companieshouse.gov.uk)

It would fall somewhere in section J ("Information and communication"). I'd guess one of these:
    58190 Other publishing activities
    63990 Other information service activities n.e.c.

Doing a quick search, this page says that SIC code 58190 includes blogs:
    SIC code 58190 • UK Standard Industrial Classification (infocnae.com)
    However, I don't know how authoritative that website is.

At the risk of cliché, have you tried asking your accountant?

Comment

Based on your posting history, are you hoping to go on holidays as business expenses?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Based on your posting history, are you hoping to go on holidays as business expenses?
        That's the first thing I thought as well. The fact they are struggling to get going yet wants to 'make money from adverts' tells me they don't have a clue and it's never going to get off the ground.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          ​​​​​​Which of my posts make you believe that?
          being off topic in this section of the forum is bannable, no? Or the rules don't apply to you being green nickname.

But to answer your question, yes and no. Mostly no, as I have 100s of articles and content from my travels over the last 20 years. Did not bother to monetize them until now.
          ​​​
          In short nowadays with AI the quantity is king. I have enough material to produce 1000s of articles and with a bit of advertising the income could be substantial.

Nothing tricky here and yes if it flies, future travels will be expensed.
          Last edited by gisp; 22 May 2024, 12:02.

Comment

Originally posted by gisp View Post

​​​​​​Which of my posts make you believe that?
            being off topic in this section of the forum is bannable, no? Or the rules don't apply to you being green nickname.

But to answer your question, yes and no. Mostly no, as I have 100s of articles and content from my travels over the last 20 years. Did not bother to monetize them until now.
            ​​​
            In short nowadays with AI the quantity is king. I have enough material to produce 1000s of articles and with a bit of advertising the income could be substantial.

Nothing tricky here and yes if it flies, future travels will be expensed.
            20 year old travel logs are pretty much useless. Life moves on too quickly. 20 years ago, South Africa was dodgy and Kenya the go to place for safaris.

But given every man and his dog is writing vlogs to make even the simplest point about their holiday, what would be you USP?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

20 year old travel logs are pretty much useless. Life moves on too quickly. 20 years ago, South Africa was dodgy and Kenya the go to place for safaris.

But given every man and his dog is writing vlogs to make even the simplest point about their holiday, what would be you USP?
              They are not useless at all. For most part everything is still there, and Kenya is still the go to place for safaris.

There is no real USP. For one reason or another google allows you to have a blog with more or less AI generated content. And pays you for adsense. FB has some competitive rates for advertising and in travel niche ROIs are good.
              Interesting times for AI content and how it is shown and monetized.

Comment

They are not useless at all. For most part everything is still there, and Kenya is still the go to place for safaris.
                If you say so. I know people who would disagree.

There is no real USP. For one reason or another google allows you to have a blog with more or less AI generated content. And pays you for adsense. FB has some competitive rates for advertising and in travel niche ROIs are good.
                Interesting times for AI content and how it is shown and monetized.
                So you're not creating anything with any literary merit, you're getting a tool to generate it for you based on your input criteria. OK, but spotting AI generated content is fairly easy these days and people want to interact with real people, not robots, if you want them to keep coming back.

Have fun...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  If you say so. I know people who would disagree.

So you're not creating anything with any literary merit, you're getting a tool to generate it for you based on your input criteria. OK, but spotting AI generated content is fairly easy these days and people want to interact with real people, not robots, if you want them to keep coming back.

Have fun...
                  That's exaclty what is happening at the moment with AI generated content.
                  I did not believe it until I saw £X000 (X>2) per month income from adsense with such content. It did not take much time either: <6months to get there.

It involves time and effort so being a secondary revenue stream in my LTD is preffered. I am not doing it myself, but someone has to come up with 1000s of travel topics go to AI to generate articles, edit them, then browse my 40k images collection and add images to articles. Then upload to my blog, then setup advertising in 2-3 websites. Then track all this. This is easily 20+h/week job.

Thankfully internet works differently to what malvolio from contrUK forum thinks.

Comment

It involves time and effort so being a secondary revenue stream in my LTD is preffered. I am not doing it myself, but someone has to come up with 1000s of travel topics go to AI to generate articles, edit them, then browse my 40k images collection and add images to articles. Then upload to my blog, then setup advertising in 2-3 websites. Then track all this. This is easily 20+h/week job.
                    So, who is going to be doing all this work, if you're not? Are you hiring an employee?

Your comment about "20+h/week" sounds like a justification for paying your spouse a high salary, i.e. a response to previous conversations where people have said "I hire my wife to do all the bookkeeping".

Comment

Working...
                    X