• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keep money in Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep money in Ltd company

Hi

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm pretty new to how Ltd companies work.

Let's say I land a contract outside ir35 and can work through my Ltd company. Do I legally HAVE TO pay myself a salary or can I leave all the money in the company and then maybe start paying myself a salary at a later date (for example after the contract ends)?

You don't have to pay yourself a salary. There are various reasons why you might not want to (e.g. if you're currently doing a contract which is inside IR35 and your limited company doesn't have any income).

You can take a salary when you're out of contract.

Since you're new to this, I recommend getting an accountant to help you with the company's finances.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post
      You don't have to pay yourself a salary. There are various reasons why you might not want to (e.g. if you're currently doing a contract which is inside IR35 and your limited company doesn't have any income).

You can take a salary when you're out of contract.

Since you're new to this, I recommend getting an accountant to help you with the company's finances.
      Thanks. I'll definitely speak an accountant.

So, to give more information on why I'm asking, I have the chance to take 2 part time contracts, one inside ir35 and paid via umbrella company and one outside ir35 via my ltd.

I can easily live off of the money from the inside ir35 contract so I was wondering if I could leave the money from my outside contract in the ltd since I don't need it now. Thanks for confirming it is a viable option.

I'll still speak with an accountant.

Cheers!
      Last edited by PCTNN; 20 October 2023, 08:17.

Comment

As a director you are not constrained my National Minimum Wage so under no obligation to pay yourself a salary.

Depending on your stage in life and current financial situation it might be worth considering sticking as much of the inside money in to a pension so it doesn't get taxed at all (kind of) and living off the LTD one.

Accountant is your friend here.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Thanks. I'll definitely speak an accountant.

So, to give more information on why I'm asking, I have the chance to take 2 part time contracts, one inside ir35 and paid via umbrella company and one outside ir35 via my ltd.

I can easily live off of the money from the inside ir35 contract so I was wondering if I could leave the money from my outside contract in the ltd since I don't need it now. Thanks for confirming it is a viable option.

I'll still speak with an accountant.

Cheers!
          Yuo need to speak to an accountant. But because of the way NI works it makes sense to pay yourself (continually) a small amount (say £800 a month or whatever the figure is that's below employer / employee NI) from the limited company as that would only be subject to income tax and not NI.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Depending on your stage in life and current financial situation it might be worth considering sticking as much of the inside money in to a pension so it doesn't get taxed at all (kind of) and living off the LTD one.
            pretty good idea there, which I hadn't considered. Thanks!

Comment

Also take the tiny dividend you're able to tax free:
              How much is the tax-free dividend allowance in 2023/24? (contractoruk.com)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                As a director you are not constrained my National Minimum Wage so under no obligation to pay yourself a salary.

Accountant is your friend here.
                +1 - opportunity to really boost your pension pot if that is a priority for you.

Comment

Working...
                X