• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client gearing up to provide training to all staff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

They haven't so far told me I have to do anything, but this is being arranged by technical people for their teams (not by HR) and they have no idea about legislation/IR35 and probably wouldn't want me to feel excluded.
    If I was being pedantic, I'd say as a contractor it's my responsibility to avoid problems not theirs
    Is the client North East based? If they are I would recommend Jon McNestrie and I would argue if the people training are good enough - it makes sense to attend regardless of what you think you agile knowledge level is.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They haven't so far told me I have to do anything, but this is being arranged by technical people for their teams (not by HR) and they have no idea about legislation/IR35 and probably wouldn't want me to feel excluded.
      Might be worth a word in lega/HR's ear to put some IR35 training in then. My client has had a session every 6 months down to the bottom level team leads about what IR35 is and what people should and shouldn't do. They've put a good amount of time and effort in to it which is nice to see.
      If I was being pedantic, I'd say as a contractor it's my responsibility to avoid problems not theirs
      Absolutely correct. Totally agree.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How about just going on holiday during the time the training takes place?
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          How about just going on holiday during the time the training takes place?
          From what I gather they are making sure sessions catch everyone. I have a feeling it might be an all staff thing not even just devs.
          If this is a "how ClientCo want to approach Agile" thing then I think there's some argument to attending to be on the same page, as no two people I met have quite the same understanding. I understand they want to adopt a consistent methodology company-wide rather than each project do its own thing, so that an employee can switch teams easily.

Learning ClientCo procedures and systems that apply to all people working on a project would seem more reasonable as I understand it, like learning their git workflow and whatever?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

From what I gather they are making sure sessions catch everyone. I have a feeling it might be an all staff thing not even just devs.
            If this is a "how ClientCo want to approach Agile" thing then I think there's some argument to attending to be on the same page, as no two people I met have quite the same understanding. I understand they want to adopt a consistent methodology company-wide rather than each project do its own thing, so that an employee can switch teams easily.

Learning ClientCo procedures and systems that apply to all people working on a project would seem more reasonable as I understand it, like learning their git workflow and whatever?
            I wouldn't have an issue with training that is essentially laying out the company standards. You can't have everyone doing their own thing, especially contractors, as when people move on it makes it very hard for others to pick stuff up.

Where it becomes "we're teaching people new skills" then it gets shifty for a contractor to attend.

Comment

Realistically, this training sounds like a mix of the two. Perhaps you can get an agenda or something and attend certain parts only. It might seem awkward, and this probably isn't going to flip your IR35 status (if that even matters here), but it's better to avoid any type of training that isn't squarely about client procedures that everyone needs to know.

Comment

Working...
              X