• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company phones, BYOD phone policies, etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wouldn't run any client apps on my phone unless they were absolutely essential. If the latter then I'd consider a burner and dig an old thing out of the drawer I keep as an emergency backup.

I don't want to be contacted outside working hours so I'd be interested to know what it is that the client thinks I need to install in order to fulfil my contractual duties.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I just wouldn't run any client apps on my phone unless they were absolutely essential. If the latter then I'd consider a burner and dig an old thing out of the drawer I keep as an emergency backup.

I don't want to be contacted outside working hours so I'd be interested to know what it is that the client thinks I need to install in order to fulfil my contractual duties.
      The only mandatory app I have is an authenticator required to access VPNs. I haven't asked if I can run that on an unsecured phone
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thought we were all independent contractors on here, and not disguised employees

Comment

Originally posted by ensignia View Post

Thought we were all independent contractors on here, and not disguised employees
          Do you know the difference between what you want to consider working hours and what the client considers it to be?
          If I have fulfilled my contractual duties and turn off the phone at 2pm, then I can do that as a contractor.
          Employees are expected to work the hours their employer tells them, and may be expected to be contactable outside those hours.

It's a big difference, but you don't get it, do you?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

The only mandatory app I have is an authenticator required to access VPNs. I haven't asked if I can run that on an unsecured phone
            I have no issue with authenticator apps; I have two (MS and Google) already. That's no different, in my view, to carrying around those little RSA key fob things that used to generate a number for VPN authentication (and other stuff). I wouldn't expect a client to demand lock down of your phone using their MDM solution to run that.

Comment

I have no issue with authenticator apps; I have two (MS and Google) already. That's no different, in my view, to carrying around those little RSA key fob things that used to generate a number for VPN authentication (and other stuff). I wouldn't expect a client to demand lock down of your phone using their MDM solution to run that.
              if the authenticator app is locked down then you cannot authenticate until you've authenticated. Hence that app is not (should not) be subject to MDM lockdown controls.
              Intune/Azure AD will not allow admins to MDM control the authenticator app for this reason.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I am guessing you are being asked to install InTune (sounds like you are a MS house), it will get some details about your device, model number, OS version etc.

It will get access to the apps from the company app store you install but nothing else
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I am guessing you are being asked to install InTune (sounds like you are a MS house), it will get some details about your device, model number, OS version etc.

It will get access to the apps from the company app store you install but nothing else
                  I'm not really concerned for my privacy or my device just not sure how I feel being directed what I have to do with my personal device.
                  Of course if the client is of the view "it's only if you WANT" work stuff on your phone it because something of a non-issue. I don't mind the odd message or email out of work hours but it's no skin off my nose if I can't. It's handy my phone gives me reminders before/after the work day of meetings tomorrow I suppose.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I'm not really concerned for my privacy or my device just not sure how I feel being directed what I have to do with my personal device.
                    Of course if the client is of the view "it's only if you WANT" work stuff on your phone it because something of a non-issue. I don't mind the odd message or email out of work hours but it's no skin off my nose if I can't. It's handy my phone gives me reminders before/after the work day of meetings tomorrow I suppose.
                    It's not actually about you though. 99% of BYOD rules are there to protect the client network, not your data. Allowing their data and comms to be accessible from your uncontrolled (to their eyes) device is an avoidable risk. All the software does is partition off your device so their data and remote access capabilities are protected in its own area, inaccessible to your social media and similar apps. You get notifications, but they are from their systems, not yours; your phone is merely a dumb output device.

But as has been said, if you want BYOD access without compromising your kit, get a PAYG burner. It's not like they're expensive, and they are reusable.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Do you know the difference between what you want to consider working hours and what the client considers it to be?
                      If I have fulfilled my contractual duties and turn off the phone at 2pm, then I can do that as a contractor.
                      Employees are expected to work the hours their employer tells them, and may be expected to be contactable outside those hours.

It's a big difference, but you don't get it, do you?
                      Classic moving of the goalposts. My response was to the term 'Working hours', which points to employment.

If someone came on here and said they switched off their phone at 5pm you and the other clowns on here who think they're some kind of authority would be shouting 'sockie' or some other nonsense term at them.

Comment

Working...
                      X