• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilution of Husband Wife Company Shares

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilution of Husband Wife Company Shares

Morning, looking for a bit of advice from anyone who may have done what I'm thinking about doing with my Ltd please.

I set up around 5 years ago 50:50 with my wife who was taking a break from the NHS. This worked great, utilising her lower tax rates for the first few years.

She has been working part time & earning a salary swell which has made tax planning a bit less straightforward.

Our accountant advised us to change the share split to 60:40 in my favour.

We have come to a point where she wants to return to work full time. I'd like to remove her from the business, removing her shares (diluting maybe or buying her out?).

What would be the best way to conclude her relationship with the Ltd?

Thank you

AFAIK if you are married you can gift each other shares back and forth as you please - draft up new share certificates with the new proportions and both sign

Comment

Did your accountant explain to you that changes in shareholdings where the only purpose is taxation motivated is likely to be looked upon dimly should you be investigated by HMRC? I am not saying don't do it. But I suspect in a year or two when your circumstances change again, there's going to be another question about changing shareholdings once more.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        AFAIK if you are married you can gift each other shares back and forth as you please - draft up new share certificates with the new proportions and both sign
        Yes but no. Highly simplistic the point of being bad advice. You can't do it as you please. Process wise you can but you are going to attract the attention of HMRC who will question why you are changing it 'as you please'. The answer (to them) will be aggressive tax avoidance which they will not like. You really should keep changes to divis to an absolute minimum if at all possible so as not to attract attention to a situation HMRC will be more than interested in.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Yes but no. Highly simplistic the point of being bad advice. You can't do it as you please. Process wise you can but you are going to attract the attention of HMRC who will question why you are changing it 'as you please'. The answer (to them) will be aggressive tax avoidance which they will not like. You really should keep changes to divis to an absolute minimum if at all possible so as not to attract attention to a situation HMRC will be more than interested in.
          Agreed.

Arctic systems allows income shifting between spouses as a tax avoidance mechanism, but that case does not include frequent changes to the share holding. So IMO (IANAL) changing all the time risks removing the protection provided by the Arctic systems case.

As for OP. 50/50 to 60/40???? Really?? There's not much to be saved from that. Just leave it.
          If it was moving from 50/50 to 80/20 then yeah go for it. But leave it like that for some years.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Thanks. It's a shame really! They'd shop their own grandma if it meant £0.01p in revenue.

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Agreed.

Arctic systems allows income shifting between spouses as a tax avoidance mechanism, but that case does not include frequent changes to the share holding. So IMO (IANAL) changing all the time risks removing the protection provided by the Arctic systems case.

As for OP. 50/50 to 60/40???? Really?? There's not much to be saved from that. Just leave it.
            If it was moving from 50/50 to 80/20 then yeah go for it. But leave it like that for some years.
            Sorry maybe I wasn't quite clear. We were 50:50 when we setup, but went to 60:40 in early 2021. I think the answer is start another Ltd, being 100% on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by yamyam View Post
              Sorry maybe I wasn't quite clear. We were 50:50 when we setup, but went to 60:40 in early 2021. I think the answer is start another Ltd, being 100% on my own.
              Do you have much money in the old company?
              How do you plan to get that out, because phoenixing is considered a really bad idea.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Do you have much money in the old company?
                How do you plan to get that out, because phoenixing is considered a really bad idea.
                Really? For many years some accountants recommended Phoenicians every few years (where possible) to avoid the risk of IR35 attacks.

and I can name some posters here who will have multiple companies covering different pieces of work (myself included).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Really? For many years some accountants recommended Phoenicians every few years (where possible) to avoid the risk of IR35 attacks.

and I can name some posters here who will have multiple companies covering different pieces of work (myself included).
                  I mean, if he's going to claim ER on one company and immediately set up a new one doing exactly the same thing. Do you not consider that a bad idea?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I mean, if he's going to claim ER on one company and immediately set up a new one doing exactly the same thing. Do you not consider that a bad idea?
                    you means a capital distribution.
                    TAAR has no relevance to ER/BADR. It covers capital gains (of which ER/BADR is simply a tax relief).
                    Taking the cash as dividends and starting a new company is absolutely fine in this regard.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X