• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best bang for buck personal rewards credit card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bang for buck personal rewards credit card

What do people have? I've got an IHG rewards which has served me well over the last 5 years odd I've had it but with no going away for two years I've more points than I need so looking to swap to something else. Most of the compare sites seem to have changed and you have to give them your details before you can look at the offerings which I won't do.

Seen the Amex cashback ones but always tried to stay away from Amex. Do they work well?

Seen the two Virgin cards which look tempting but I've only flown Virgin to Vegas and they don't fly from Manchester anymore so it's down to London if I use them.
    Same with Avios. Everything is via London so usually cheaper finding a different flight direct from Manchester so don't fancy Avios, unless it's changed.

Anyone got anything different I might have missed?

Can't seem to find a site that delves in to how much you get in return for £1 spent. You know what I mean. 10k spent on Virgin card gets flight from Manc to London normally costing £XXX so you can calulate your return per £ spent. Is there one I've missed?

EDIT : My accountants says his butler handles the credit cards so he can't help.
    EDIT2 : Done a search
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

what does your accountant use?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

All of this can be found by a simple google search or using the guides on the right hand side of moneysavingexpert.com

Like all good contractors, I use the Amex Platinum Cashback (NOT the 'everyday' version) which nets a few hundred a year in cash back. For spends above £10k a year you get 1.25% off. Just put everything on it. Including Perkbox purchases from IPSE - double bubble!

It's accepted almost everywhere other than the odd newsagents, car garage, etc.

For places that don't use Amex I use an Amazon Mastercard - 1.5% off amazon and 0.25% off other things where you can't use Amex.
      Last edited by PerfectStorm; 20 January 2022, 13:11.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

If you do most of your shopping/fuel with one company, it may be worth while considering a credit card from the relevant store. Not sure whether that is the best value, but it's worth considering
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Amex Platinum Cashback. Up to 1.25% cash back and no annual fee.

They did a big promotion drive a while back and axed the charges for small businesses and it's accepted much more widely than it used to be now (even my local pub does). Add it to your PayPal account and you can use it anywhere that accepts Paypal even if they don't do Amex.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Add it to your PayPal account and you can use it anywhere that accepts Paypal even if they don't do Amex.
            I have done this for years but noticed recently that some vendors now block Amex PayPal payments
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Amex Platinum Cashback. Up to 1.25% cash back and no annual fee.

They did a big promotion drive a while back and axed the charges for small businesses and it's accepted much more widely than it used to be now (even my local pub does). Add it to your PayPal account and you can use it anywhere that accepts Paypal even if they don't do Amex.
              +1 Amex and Paypal.

Note as is the case with many credit cards there is a AMEX currency conversion charge of 3% (so important to evaluate before purchasing big ticket items in non-GBP).
              ‘His body, his mind and his soul are his capital, and his task in life is to invest it favourably to make a profit of himself.’ (Erich Fromm, ‘The Sane Society’, Routledge, 1991, p.138)

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

I have done this for years but noticed recently that some vendors now block Amex PayPal payments
                None that I've seen - to the seller, Paypal is Paypal. Some Apple Pay sellers block Amex though, as it's a direct transaction.

For anyone who uses Perkbox, if you use the iOS app you can only pay on Visa or Mastercard but if you use the Website you can use Paypal as well, and thus Amex. Thus, your 5% off Sainsburys becomes 6.25% off (ish).
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Or get a Sainsburys or Tesco credit card for money off your shopping?

I know your butler goes to Harrods for the weekly shop but you can still earn points there and use the vouchers you earn to treat the missus.

Comment

Have the IHG card and been thinking the same.

I also have the Amazon card, just for purchases on Amazon. Regular £10 credits on accounts which is useful for no effort.

Comment

Working...
                    X