• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT buying dedicated server from Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT buying dedicated server from Germany

I would normally buy a bare bones server, build it myself and install in a local data centre but the current chip supply issues has made that nigh on impossible as the high end latest tech stuff I want just isn't available

Both Hetzner and Contabo have suitable platforms to see me sorted for a year until I can get to do the intended self build. These are German companies and their web sites are rejecting UK VAT numbers so it looks like they'll charge UK VAT under the MOSS scheme. My question is can I reclaim this VAT normally as its standard 20% UK VAT but with an EU VAT number? Looked online and the advice is both conflicting and probably inaccurate

This appears to be the same question asked here

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-eu-goods.html

Good from Germany and VAT.. although not sure that there is actually an answer in that thread.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      This appears to be the same question asked here

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-eu-goods.html

Good from Germany and VAT.. although not sure that there is actually an answer in that thread.
      It's not the same question - as half my servers are sat at Hetzner and since January I've been paying German VAT on them

Not that I actually care as their rental prices are way lower than anywhere in the UK...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It's not the same question - as half my servers are sat at Hetzner and since January I've been paying German VAT on them

Not that I actually care as their rental prices are way lower than anywhere in the UK...
        Ohhhhh. He's talking about using the platform based out there? Right you are. I read in to it he wanted to buy the kit. Gotcha.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have you tried a) prefixing your UK VAT number with `GB` or b) contacting them directly?

Assuming this is a supply of goods they should be able to zero rate it and let you deal with it on your own VAT return. I think the same *should* apply if this a hosted service but that depends on the place of supply rules.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Have you tried a) prefixing your UK VAT number with `GB` or b) contacting them directly?

Assuming this is a supply of goods they should be able to zero rate it and let you deal with it on your own VAT return. I think the same *should* apply if this a hosted service but that depends on the place of supply rules.
            Not post January 1st

Comment

Off topic I know but can anyone of this parish be kind enough to provide a testimonial/reference for Hetzner please?
              I looked them up based on what the esteemed Eek said re cost.
              I wouldn't say no to cutting my annual hosting bill!
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Mine are 48gb ssd boxes running plain Ubuntu that cost about €51 inc vat each.

I can’t fault them but Ive had nothing go wrong

Comment

Put the question on accounting web and got a reply. It looks like they shouldn't charge VAT as a UK business is foreign to the EU but having rules and people applying them correctly are two different things! It is Hetzner I'm looking at and their prices are good but if VAT shouldn't be charged I don't see why I should pay it when it can't be reclaimed.

Looking at a spec'd up AX161 which is coming out at over Euro 300 per month so the VAT is significant. Otherwise it'll be trying to get a standard offering from FastHosts or someone to work for the requirement

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                    Put the question on accounting web and got a reply. It looks like they shouldn't charge VAT as a UK business is foreign to the EU but having rules and people applying them correctly are two different things! It is Hetzner I'm looking at and their prices are good but if VAT shouldn't be charged I don't see why I should pay it when it can't be reclaimed.

Looking at a spec'd up AX161 which is coming out at over Euro 300 per month so the VAT is significant. Otherwise it'll be trying to get a standard offering from FastHosts or someone to work for the requirement
                    Again, you haven't asked the right question there.

You aren't buying a product from Germany, you are purchasing a service from a German firm who are providing the service from within Germany.

Once you've explained what you are actually doing I expect you will get a different (and more accurate) answer.

Comment

Working...
                    X