• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYE and NI question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYE and NI question

I have one employee, not director, not shareholder. We got her NI number wrong and she need to apply for a NI, anyone has experience on that? what's the best to do for the current PAYE and any negative impact? or once get new NI, process in, should be fine?

One separate PAYE question, I plan to pay this employer a bit more this month, she started mid year, given the employee NI contribution is calculated based on monthly threshold, she will pay a lot employee NI contribution this month, but her overall yearly salary is below 9500. Any experience it will get claim back/corrected after year end?

I have an accountant, just she is not familiar to these questions. I ringed HMRC many times, mix answer. Any help, or past experience can be shared, appreciated.
    Last edited by Orangecat; 6 April 2021, 09:40.

Originally posted by Orangecat View Post
    I have one employee, not director, not shareholder. We got her NI number wrong and she need to apply for a NI, anyone has experience on that? what's the best to do for the current PAYE and any negative impact? or once get new NI, process in, should be fine?
    I bet you don't. It wouldn't be your wife or a family member would it?

I have an accountant, just she is not familiar to these questions.
    Get a new one. This should be absolute basics for them. Actually.. I don't believe you.

I ringed HMRC many times,
    Can we have a sockie check please?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 25 March 2021, 02:22.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Who does your payroll?

Why do you need to get a new NI number just because you got her's wrong (presumably in your payroll?).

Did you actually use the wrong NI, or have you simply not paid NI for this employee?

What did HMR say when you said "We put no/the wrong NI number through payroll - how do we fix that"?

There is something missing here and, as NL said, if your accountant can't advise on this, get a new one.
      Last edited by Paralytic; 25 March 2021, 08:24.

Comment

All, it is very hard to find an accountant who knows everything and people do make mistakes sometimes. I think this is a form that people ask help and check notes on, not to get insult. I saw many people ask help here and get response directly like "why don't you get an accountant, why you did this.. etc" This is not nice. Hence, I mentioned in advance I have an accountant, and not cheap to be honest, but still can't avoid getting useless comments like "I don't believe you, hire another accountant". It is not fair to the accountant that once they don't know anything or make a mistake, you just fire them, they are human too, just like you and me. If you know an accountant that's that is super good and willing to communicate and explain their steps(instead of doing things for directors on their own), it would be beneficial for me and others on this form to know as well.

To answer the questions on NI, my employee never had a NI number, hence, need to apply for one. We thought another number is her number, but it wasn't. HMRC one call said it can be fixed once get new NI number, on another call said it can't be relocated. And yes, there is NI payment for this employee (employee contribution).

Comment

All, it is very hard to find an accountant who knows everything and people do make mistakes sometimes. I think this is a form that people ask help and check notes on, not to get insult. I saw many people ask help here and get response directly like "why don't you get an accountant, why you did this.. etc" This is not nice. Hence, I mentioned in advance I have an accountant, and not cheap to be honest, but still can't avoid getting useless comments like "I don't believe you, hire another accountant". It is not fair to the accountant that once they don't know anything or make a mistake, you just fire them, they are human too, just like you and me. If you know an accountant that's that is super good and willing to communicate and explain their steps(instead of doing things for directors on their own), it would be beneficial for me and others on this form to know as well.

To answer the questions on NI, my employee never had a NI number, hence, need to apply for one. We thought another number is her number, but it wasn't. HMRC one call said it can be fixed once get new NI number, on another call said it can't be relocated. And yes, there is NI payment for this employee (employee contribution).
          Utter rubbish. An accountant is a highly qualified professional. You pay good money for that service. If an accountant can't do the basics of setting one employee up then you want to move on. Not only should they know it they should have done it a thousand times over. An accountant that cannot set someone up on payroll is not an accountant. If they can't get this right then what else are they going to mess up so you need to go. What pay for a service so if you aren't getting the service you find another.

So if your employee never had an NI it's your kids is it? As usual, only half the facts are included because the whole thing is an utter sham.

That said, reading this and your previous responses it's just trolling anyway.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

she need to apply for a NI
            you do know that employing someone without checking their eligibility to work in the UK is against the law?
            someone without an NI number is probably the sort of person that is not eligible.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

When you say, "Wrong NI number", where did you get the NIN from?

The HMRC Taxes Helpline should be able to advise on what's needed to correct this. This affects national insurance contributions and income tax, so randomly putting in a NIN when you didn't have the right number is really rather poor effort on your part.

One separate PAYE question, I plan to pay this employer a bit more this month, she started mid year, given the employee NI contribution is calculated based on monthly threshold, she will pay a lot employee NI contribution this month, but her overall yearly salary is below 9500. Any experience it will get claim back/corrected after year end?
              A 30-second Google using the challenging term "refund overpaid NI" led me to this, the very first result. Follow the instructions to check eligibility etc.
              https://www.gov.uk/claim-national-insurance-refund

Why are you paying another employer instead of your employee? If you're paying another company, that's not payroll, that's just invoicing.

I have an accountant, just she is not familiar to these questions.
              As others have said, you should change accountants. Payroll administration is a basic skill all should have, or your accountant should have explicitly told you in their terms of engagement that they will not deal with any payroll enquiries.

I ringed HMRC many times, mix answer.
              If your enquiry to HMRC was as coherent as your post, then that's not suprising.

You need to say, "I payed my employee using an incorrect NI Number, what do you need from me in order to correct the records?" Make sure you have to hand all your PAYE accounting references, the wrong NI number that you used and the correct NI number you should have used.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

As others have said, you should change accountants. Payroll administration is a basic skill all should have, or your accountant should have explicitly told you in their terms of engagement that they will not deal with any payroll enquiries.
                you can't sack your brother/cousin though
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Can we have a sockie check please?
                  Done months ago.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

you do know that employing someone without checking their eligibility to work in the UK is against the law?
                    someone without an NI number is probably the sort of person that is not eligible.

Yes, 100% sure she has the eligibility to work. NI and eligibility are two different things. Think we will apply for a NI for her and then try to correct it. just want to see if anyone has experience on that. but thanks for the inputs. I think my accountant mentioned she will do early year adjustment for that, hopefully that will work.
                    Last edited by Orangecat; 1 April 2021, 17:01.

Comment

Working...
                    X