• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - New Contractor - Invoicing - VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - New Contractor - Invoicing - VAT

Hi All,

Many thanks for the advise in advance.

I recently finished a contract (first time contractor) and need some advise on invoicing.

Details:
    1. Contract ran from Nov 20 - Feb 21
    2. I have setup a Limited Company
    3. Not VAT registered.
    4. Earning through the contract would by £13K below VAT threshold of £85K
    5. All timesheets have been approved & POs recieved
    My question, on my invoices to the company I worked for, do I charge VAT given I am only charging them £13k, which is below the £85K threshold?

I should of invoiced them weekly but was too busy to do it so am now only starting to invoice them. All timesheets have been approved and they have sent me the POs to use, so no blockage there.

I most likely to take a permanent role as my next position so will be no longer earning money this way.

Any advise would be welcomed.

"should have".

If you're definitely going to close your company, since you're below the VAT threshold there is no point in registering now and adding VAT. So bill without VAT.

(Except, there's a slight gain to be gotten from being part of the flat rate VAT scheme - your call really).
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      "should have".

If you're definitely going to close your company, since you're below the VAT threshold there is no point in registering now and adding VAT. So bill without VAT.

(Except, there's a slight gain to be gotten from being part of the flat rate VAT scheme - your call really).
      The gain over that period if pointless. Ignore it, and invoice without the VAT charge.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I hope there's nothing in the contract stipulating that invoices must be submitted within a certain amount of time...

Comment

Do you have an accountant? If not why not? I don't want give away details here as it is way too good to publish on a public forum.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I don't want give away details here as it is way too good to publish on a public forum.
            Only really valid on an initial post - not when answering a question.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Only really valid on an initial post - not when answering a question.
              Doh. Back to old faithful then
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sam2121 View Post
                Hi All,

Many thanks for the advise in advance.

I recently finished a contract (first time contractor) and need some advise on invoicing.

Details:
                1. Contract ran from Nov 20 - Feb 21
                2. I have setup a Limited Company
                3. Not VAT registered.
                4. Earning through the contract would by £13K below VAT threshold of £85K
                5. All timesheets have been approved & POs recieved
                My question, on my invoices to the company I worked for, do I charge VAT given I am only charging them £13k, which is below the £85K threshold?

I should of invoiced them weekly but was too busy to do it so am now only starting to invoice them. All timesheets have been approved and they have sent me the POs to use, so no blockage there.

I most likely to take a permanent role as my next position so will be no longer earning money this way.

Any advise would be welcomed.

£13k below VAT threshold. or £13k in total? Very poor attention to detail. Minus one gold star.
                Not invoicing when due, minus another gold star.

received. There goes another.

Just bill them without VAT.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                X