• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best business Structure post April

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Edit - as I missed the hidden question. It's easily possible that an agency could sell you a contract as outside IR35 and then for them to be "surprised" by an inside determination arriving 90 days later.
    The question was where you actually get an outside determination on day 1 of a contract. Could then client, on, say, day 60, before first payment has been made, then issue a new inside determination? If so, would that then apply from day 1 with the resultant potential claim on taxes?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

The question was where you actually get an outside determination on day 1 of a contract. Could then client, on, say, day 60, before first payment has been made, then issue a new inside determination? If so, would that then apply from day 1 with the resultant potential claim on taxes?
      In that case yes the inside IR35 determination started at day 1 and the agency somehow needs to reclaim the money that was paid directly so that the appropriate deductions are made. Which is why you see contracts that contain claw back clauses that at first glance make little sense but they are there so the client can ask for the money that should have been paid in income tax to be returned.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The original timeframe for determination was so much easier as it did made things easy - the client made a decision and you picked the appropriate payment mechanism.

The new rules mean you (currently) need to second guess what the SDS decision will be and pick what you hope is the most appropriate mechanism - knowing that if you are wrong you've got a large tax bill to pay.

Edit - as I missed the hidden question. It's easily possible that an agency could sell you a contract as outside IR35 and then for them to be "surprised" by an inside determination arriving 90 days later.
        but that surprise would also be a breach of contract would it not?
        Your LTD would still have a tax problem to sort out, but how are agencies going to avoid all sorts of crap when an uppity contractor decides to go after them for a material breach?

EDIT: Ignore me. I just spotted your last post.
        Last edited by Lance; 17 March 2021, 15:26.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

So to be politically incorrect, has IPSE really screwed things up, even if with the best of intentions? My understanding was (and still is) that an SDS must be produced before the contract starts but now you're saying it can be up until payments are made by the client? How on earth can this be progress as the main party it will screw over is the contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
            So to be politically incorrect, has IPSE really screwed things up, even if with the best of intentions? My understanding was (and still is) that an SDS must be produced before the contract starts but now you're saying it can be up until payments are made by the client? How on earth can this be progress as the main party it will screw over is the contractor?
            yep - to be clear the change is because working practices can only be identified after work has begun. And I can only report what I heard in a HMRC workshop for agencies that I am thankfully that JamesBrown also attended

As for ipse it was done with the best of intentions and it wasn't just IPSE who wanted this change. Heck I suspect they weren't even a consideration
            Last edited by eek; 17 March 2021, 19:52.

Comment

yep - to be clear the change is because working practices can only be identified after work has begun. And I can only report what I heard in a HMRC workshop for agencies that I am thankfully that JamesBrown also attended

As for ipse it was done with the best of intentions and it wasn't just IPSE who wanted this change. Heck I suspect they weren't even a consideration
              As with the other thread from earlier today on passing Tax/NICs liability down the contractual chain, another nuts decision. In this case I do have slightly more understanding as it sometimes won't be apparent until someone is working in a contract. However, for me it beggars belief that anyone would be prepared to start a contract without a clear understanding as to whether the contract is inside or outside. How can anyone budget or plan, particularly if they have to work away from home requiring overnight stays - the decision could turn a contract from being marginally commercially viable to not a hope in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post

As with the other thread from earlier today on passing Tax/NICs liability down the contractual chain, another nuts decision. In this case I do have slightly more understanding as it sometimes won't be apparent until someone is working in a contract. However, for me it beggars belief that anyone would be prepared to start a contract without a clear understanding as to whether the contract is inside or outside. How can anyone budget or plan, particularly if they have to work away from home requiring overnight stays - the decision could turn a contract from being marginally commercially viable to not a hope in hell.
                You have to remember that HMRC don't care about the bigger picture - it's above their pay grade and in their eyes has nothing to do with them.

Hence, what to us is a big decision that needs to be made prior to work beginning (Umbrella or Limited company) isn't an issue for them - SDS decisions can occur later.

Equally - expenses are an issue for a different department so likewise while it's a big issue for us it's not a consideration for the IR35 team

Comment

You have to remember that HMRC don't care about the bigger picture - it's above their pay grade and in their eyes has nothing to do with them.

Hence, what to us is a big decision that needs to be made prior to work beginning (Umbrella or Limited company) isn't an issue for them - SDS decisions can occur later.

Equally - expenses are an issue for a different department so likewise while it's a big issue for us it's not a consideration for the IR35 team
                  Sadly all too true.

Anyone would have thought there would be some joined up thinking! Then again, this is from successive governments that brought us greatest hits such as employed for tax purposes but not employment rights. I don't blame any one political party for it as they've shown they're all the same.

Still, the end result is all too predictable, people will leave contracting, large consultancies will pick up some of the slack, companies will claim a lack of skilled people available, the floodgates will be opened. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

Working...
                  X