• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best business Structure post April

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best business Structure post April

So given what I now know about how Status determinations work post April (the end client doesn't have to make an immediate decision it can be anytime up to when the end client pays the first invoice) I've been trying to work out what the best most tax efficient business structure would be for you average contractor.

And it looks like a dodgy tax avoidance scheme

Last edited by eek; 17 March 2021, 14:07. Reason: think it does work
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Thanks for that!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      So given what I now know about how Status determinations work post April (the end client doesn't have to make an immediate decision it can be anytime up to when the end client pays the first invoice) I've been trying to work out what the best most tax efficient business structure would be for you average contractor.

And it looks like a dodgy tax avoidance scheme...

Not that I want to give away the details here as it is way too good to publish on a public forum.
      What an absolutely pointless post.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post

What an absolutely pointless post.
        Really - were you aware of how SDS determination differ post April compared to the 2017 Public sector rules?

Comment

Really - were you aware of how SDS determination differ post April compared to the 2017 Public sector rules?
          Most that frequent here should by now know that the determination can be made (or even changed?) at any point up to till the first invoice is paid by the fee payer. But, that was not your post - you hinted that you're aware of some potential consequences of that but were not willing to share because "it is way too good to publish on a public forum."

It did come across like that 5 year old in the playground shouting "I know something you don't know, na, na, na, na, na..."

I suspect MonkeyUncle's response was a alternate way of saying put up or shut up.
          Last edited by Paralytic; 17 March 2021, 10:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

It did come across like that 5 year old in the playground shouting "I know something you don't know, na, na, na, na, na..."
            This

Comment

Most that frequent here should by now know that the determination can be made (or even changed?) at any point up to till the first invoice is paid by the fee payer. But, that was not your post - you posted that you're aware of some potential consequences of that but were not willing to share what as "it is way too good to publish on a public forum."

I suspect MonkeyUncle's response was a politer way of saying put up or shut up.
              So go back and read my post - as the entire point was that it looks like a tax avoidance scheme (yes I probably should have added the emoji to it).

I don't then get why people think I should then go into the gory details of how it would work in a public forum, when the sane approach is to go and make money by creating such a structure myself and spending some time checking I haven't missed a flaw or 3.
              Last edited by eek; 17 March 2021, 10:47.

Comment

Not that I want to give away the details here as it is way too good to publish on a public forum.
                I think I've got a replacement for 'Ask your accountant'
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Most that frequent here should by now know that the determination can be made (or even changed?) at any point up to till the first invoice is paid by the fee payer. But, that was not your post - you hinted that you're aware of some potential consequences of that but were not willing to share because "it is way too good to publish on a public forum."

I suspect MonkeyUncle's response was a alternate way of saying put up or shut up.
                  The deadline isn't the first payment by the fee payer, it's first payment by the party responsible for making the determination i.e. the end client which may be 120 days after you started the contract based on respective payment terms (monthly billing, with the end client on 90 day terms).
                  Last edited by eek; 17 March 2021, 11:19.

Comment

The deadline isn't the first payment by the fee payer, it's first payment by the party responsible for making the determination i.e. the end client which may be 120 days after you started the contract based on respective payment terms (monthly billing, with the end client on 90 day terms).
                    I have to say, this little bit of nuance had passed me by in the other discussions going on.

Unless you are on "paid when paid" terms or direct with the client, it's very likely that the payment terms you have with the agency (fee payer) are completely different to the terms the agency has with the client. This means you could be expected to start a job and spend maybe 3 months not knowing if you're in or out but still getting paid. How do you know what you'll be paid?

Comment

Working...
                    X