• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying Wife Redundancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying Wife Redundancy

Hi All

I wanted to pay my wife a redundancy payment, she is not a director but company secretary who is also a 40% odd shareholder.

If it helps FYI - With the downturn and IR35 I am looking to close down and she has recently taken perm work to help bring some income for bills etc hence provided her a P45.

Is this possible ?

Originally posted by RajaStyle View Post
    Hi All

I wanted to pay my wife a redundancy payment, she is not a director but company secretary who is also a 40% odd shareholder.

If it helps FYI - With the downturn and IR35 I am looking to close down and she has recently taken perm work to help bring some income for bills etc hence provided her a P45.

Is this possible ?
    What was her day-to-day role in the company (how many hours per day did she work for the company), what was her salary and how much redundancy do you want to pay her?

And if the tax man came calling, could you prove her hours?

Comment

Hi All

Is this possible ?
      is she an employee?

shareholders are not entitled to redundancy.
      Nor are company secretaries.
      Employees are, in certain circumstances. You do need to be very careful though. Is her role actually redundant? The role of a company secretary cannot be as the statutory responsibilities pass to the director.
      If her role isn't redundant then you cannot make her redundant. Just sack her.

So if she's contractor, who cannot find work, then she may well be redundant. But that's about it.
      If she's just a recipient of gifted income then she has no role therefore cannot be redundant.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Is this possible ?
        No, it's not.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

God loves a trier!

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
            God loves a trier!
            If he was trying he'd have done a search and/or asked his accountant first.

Comment

I'll never understand why people want to paint a massive great target on their back.

Comment

Is this a different company from the one you talked about closing down 2 years ago? https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...close-ltd.html
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I'll never understand why people want to paint a massive great target on their back.
                  Greed > all

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    What was her day-to-day role in the company (how many hours per day did she work for the company), what was her salary and how much redundancy do you want to pay her?

And if the tax man came calling, could you prove her hours?
                    She was paid monthly effectively minimum wage but she handled all the invoicing, accounting and admin tasks. She wasn't a contractor. I guess she didn't have set hours but utilised the time she had to compete the tasks required ready for accountant.

Comment

Working...
                    X