• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE Membership - Standard vs Plus vs other insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Ignore the squabbling.

If you are looking at it from purely selfish reasons the jury cover would pay for itself if you got called up. You can search the forums whether the IR35 cover is worth it.
    If you take the pragmatic view, nobody needs IR35 cover the first year they are contracting. Very unlikely you are going to need that cover at all in the first two years.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      If you take the pragmatic view, nobody needs IR35 cover the first year they are contracting. Very unlikely you are going to need that cover at all in the first two years.
      That's why I told the OP to do a search.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Ignore the squabbling.

If you are looking at it from purely selfish reasons the jury cover would pay for itself if you got called up. You can search the forums whether the IR35 cover is worth it.
        If you are looking at it from purely selfish reasons, the death benefit of £5k would pay for your membership for many years if you die while you're a member.

Throw in the IR35 protection, tax investigation cover, business interruption insurance, contract not as described cover, agency goes bust insurance, contract falls through cover, sickness payout on top of that...
        I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

You could also pick and choose the areas you're looking to cover and get a quote from, say, QDOS for those individual policies.

That's what I did anyway, I didn't want the all-singing IPSE Plus offering.

Comment

The discounts are bloody useful (Sainsburys, Tesco, Amazon and Expedia are my faves) and it helps to know that you've got your back if, having done all the necessary vetting of your contract, the regime decides to question it. An Expedia holiday a year or so will cover the membership at 10% off, more so if you put all your supermarket and amazon buying through them.

However, like most insurances, you could self-insure for a lot less and 99.9% be OK.

I get the impression that with every contract I'm on that I'm the only IPSE member in the room.
            Last edited by PerfectStorm; 25 June 2018, 12:53.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Agency went into administration last year.
              IPSE Insurance paid out £10K pretty promptly.

Easily save over £250 per annum with discount scheme.

Can't complain as PCG / IPSE member / customer.

Comment

PC has also been on the receiving end of a hand out.... but there is nothing new there really.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No brainer in my view. Peanuts for the cover you get regardless of the rewards (that I’m unlikely to use). Jury cover, agency bankruptcy and £5K life insurance all are a fringe benefit to my main reason for being a member namely the IR35 cover.

Better to have the insurance than to regret not having it when you need it. Oh .....and IMHO it’s decent value. Each to their own though. Do let us know how you get on if Hector comes knocking 🙄

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    I get the impression that with every contract I'm on that I'm the only IPSE member in the room.
                    Interesting you say that as I too have had the same impression...!

I do extol the virtues of membership but thereafter, the conversation is closed and I don't follow up.

Curious as to why every contractor is not plugged in.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                      Interesting you say that as I too have had the same impression...!

I do extol the virtues of membership but thereafter, the conversation is closed and I don't follow up.

Curious as to why every contractor is not plugged in.
                      Probably because beyond incorporating for the perceived fiscal advantages, they have no interest and are simply temps and disguised employees.
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X